Why no Lodge Chief position patch?

I have to agree with Eagle92.

I also find it interesting that the youth serving as National Chief, National Vice-Chief and Regional Chiefs ALL wear uniforms with gold loops and National Committee patches on their sleeves (and no unit numbers). Not sure about Section Chiefs wearing gold loops and an appropriate regional office patch.

A recent Insignia Guide showed office patches for the National and Regional OA offices, but I understand they were never made.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the way our lodge gives the Chief "special status"   We made a special lodge flap for the chief. (Has a different color border then the regular issue flap.    

The OA used to have a Lodge Chief patch, but that was nixed. you can still find unofficial ones though. What I did during my tenure was to get a reproduction one, affix a loop to it, and wear it as a temporary patch during OA functions.

Section officers don't hold any position withing the Area or Region. I believe Regional officers do hold a position on the Regional Committee though. Often times, a Lodge officer will hold a position within the Council, as here, we sit on the Council Committee and the Executive Board. A Lodge Chief could wear a uniform that reflects that position, and distinguishes him at the Council level. Another way we identify our Lodge Chief here is through a donation. Each year, the Lodge makes a donation of $1000 to the Council Endowment in the Chief's name. This recognizes the Chief as a James E. West Fellow, something very uncommon for a scout/scouter of that age to be. So the square not for the award provides recognition.

Now, those are some different ways that a Lodge Chief can be recognized as such. As for the comment about what loops to wear and all that one poster made, my method is to have a different uniform for different responsibilities. I have a Troop uniform, a District uniform, and an OA uniform. As a youth, I had a Troop uniform and an OA uniform. When you get to the level of involvement where these questions come up, you're going to have several uniforms anyway, so I just think it is best to have each one suit a specific need.

"I believe Regional officers do hold a position on the Regional Committee though."

The Region Chiefs are members of the Regional OA Committee and the National OA Committee. Hence, they wear gold loops and appropriate office patch.

"Often times, a Lodge officer will hold a position within the Council, as here, we sit on the Council Committee and the Executive Board."

The Lodge Chief should be on the Council Executive Board as a youth representative. Its not a hard & fast rule, so may not be so in some councils.