election - 12yr old first years

Happen to tag along with our OA Election Team visting a Troop. It was embarrassing by the lack of Troop attendance. Troop indicates they have over 42 Scouts, but only a handful showed up. Last year it took 3 visits to get to a voting quorum. Most of the Scouts listed this year were all "first years" with just achieving First Class last month. And yup, they went to summer camp, and had their total 15 days/nights camping... so I guess they were eligible. But, I can't see these 12yr old Scouts actually participating in the "service" and "work" performed by the OA at various Council facilities.

My son was elected to the OA at the age of 11, called out at 11 and went through his ordeal one month after turning 12. Now 14, he has regular attendance at the OA meetings, is a brotherhood member, participates in a ceremonies team, service projects, protors elections, etc. Other boys in our troop, ages 13 - 16 do diddly squat with respect to OA. They went through the OA just to get the sash and flap and that was it.

Don't pre-judge based on age. I'll be truthful. Although there are boys who are slightly older than my son in the troop (some by over a year) they are all at the same grade level. He has no real older Scouts to look up to in the troop. The OA, with a smattering of 19 & 20 yr olds, present great role models for him that he can more readily identify with than his 48 yr old SM (me) or the other mid-30 to 50 yr old leaders.

It is young, but it's up to the Scoutmaster to decide. Typically, most first year scouts haven't earned First Class by the time OA elections are held. (I'm assuming a crossover around March and OA elections taking place about 11-12 months later).

Please explain what you mean? When you say "participating in the "service" and "work" performed by the OA at various Council facilities.

I can see a young Lad helping with Camp Promotions, helping with the Scoutreach program , helping with next years unit elections, getting involved with what the OA is doing with the Cub Scout program. Doing Conservation work at at camp and a lot more.

Eamonn

I really can't complain about 12 year old first years being elected into the OA.

I don't remember at what age I was elected, but I can tell you that I took my Vigil when I was 15 years old. Served many years as a Vice Chief, but never wanted to be Chief.

Unc.

• 2 months later...

My first question would be "why did the election team go back three times?" If the troop leadership (PLC) is not interested enough in the election to have a quorum there, then maybe they should wait until next year and try again.

I agree with the others...if they have met the requirements, age is irrelevant.

Kevin was elected to OA when he was 11 and did his Ordeal on his 12th birthday. I don't think it is about age. It is about drive, maturity and the ability to take responsibility.

• 1 month later...

i was inducted into the order the weekend before i turned 11. so i was 10 yearts old at the time. i was a star scout, i am now 14, serving as lodge chief, and went through my vigil a few weekends ago. i also earned my eagle scout just before i turned 12. i think that the age thing is one to be concidered on a case bey case basis, and parent and scoutmaster support is a big thing to consider as well. mine were both great!

thanx. ya my brothers set a pretty high standard. 1 was a 2 term lodge chief, and the other was a section chief. both are vigils and much revered around here. i just took it a little farther. got into the program and just couldnt quit.

Kevin was tapped out at 11 and did his Ordeal on his 12th birthday. He thought it was one of the greatest birthday presents he could have gotten.

So far he has been on 2 service projects.

I don't think age has much to do with a scouts ability to fufill his OA committement. It has more to do with his desire and feeling of committment and responsibility.

Our lodge has been struggling with poor attendance with many of the older boys. There is a new batch of younger boys in and so far none of new, younger boys have missed a lodge meeting. So I honestly thing that many times the younger boys show more motivation and interest than the older ones.