Troop Attendance Requirement?

On a related thread I mentioned the Troop had its OA elections this past week. One surprising to me thing the scoutmaster said was we had to be sure the troop had one more than half of the registered scouts in the troop show up for the election. I don't remember such a requirement in the past. SO, I ask, is this new? has it always been this way and I either didnt hear it or it was never enforced?

Does the troop holding an OA election have to have one more than half of its registered scouts attend the election for it to be valid? Is there a reference somewhere?

When I was on an elections team, during our training it was mentioned that half of the rgistered memebers need to be in attendance to hold an election. I'm not sure where you could find a reference to that, but it's something that my lodge has been doing for several years.

OGE,

In the OA Guide for for Officers and Advisors the Unit Election Procedures state: " Before the election, the OA team must secure from the unit leader verification that at least 50% of the registered active unit membership is present. If at least 50% is not present, an election cannot be held."

The guide also describes what is considered a Registered Active Member. " A Boy Scout or Varsity Scout who carries a current national membership card and participates in at least some unit activities during the year is considered to be a registered active member of the unit."

YIS

Bryan