Our Troop Elected for OA, But Some Boys Embarrassed Us All - I Have Questions..

I don't blame the OA folks for being ticked off AT ALL! They came out of their way to come to our Troop meeting to do an election within the eligible boys of the Troop. Apparently some of the boys decided to be funny and placed votes for "Mickey Mouse", "Anyone but _______", etc. Some of them didn't take it seriously and as a result, screwed a couple boys out of a chance to be elected (because of the necessary votes needed to elect). The SPL was pissed and the whole Troop received a good ear spanking!

Here's where I have the question --

As we understand it, the election stands, and is valid.

There are a couple Adult Leaders that are upset and are voicing their opinions rather loudly, one even insisted there would be another election (she's wrong and we know there isn't going to be another election, but she's still whining and bad-mouthing the OA folks).

Now correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't that one female leader be more upset at the boys that voted the way they did? Why blame the OA folks for accepting the election as it stands? If they run an election and one person gets enough votes, that makes it legal right?

I think the OA team is correct. You don't get a "do-over". The lesson here is "you get the results you earned -- as a group." If someone voted for Mickey and thus someone got screwed, the boys will sort it out. Everyone will know who the offender was sooner or later. If the troop did not understand the solemnity and honor associated with being elected to OA, then the troop PLC (including OA representative) need to do a better job in preparing the troop for the election process. Once the OA team shows up, it's too late. There's also a "Scout Spirit" aspect that I hope will be addressed at all BORs and SM conferences in the foreseeable future.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Thats a shame. I would not do a 'vote-over'.

In the future, use a preformatted voting sheet with each of the eligible scouts names next to a checkbox. There is no lines for write-in since only the eligibles (those nominated by the SM)can be voted on. This will insure that the problem does not reoccur and the OA election team will appreciate the organization and ease of counting votes.

I agree with Semper (as usual!) that a pre-printed OA ballot is EXTREMELY helpful. It explicitly identifies those and only those boys who are eligible and makes voting and tabulation far easier.

However a caveat from our experience last year. Check and double check your list before printing. We had an eligible scout accidently omitted and he was naturally not elected. Afterwards, he was confused and disappointed, his dad was upset, I was mortified and apologetic. But, as scoutlr said, there is no "do-over".

If NO ONE is elected on the first vote, a second vote MAY be held.

If no one is elected on the second vote, then no one from that unit is elected for the year.

If one person is elected on the first vote, then the first vote stands.

This is an issue that can best be solved by better preparation. Any OA members in the unit need to make certain that the election process is taken seriously by the other members. They should do this both by approaching the election with the correct attitude the night of the election, and by taking the opportunity to highlight the importance of OA throughout the year. However, the best thing Arrowmen can do is to live up to the Obligation and help fulfill the purpose of the OA in the unit. The OA Rep and his adviser need to be looking at ways to make certain this happens.

Further, the PLC and the adult leaders need to look at ways to prepare the unit for the election in the weeks leading up to the election. The OA election team cannot do the entire job the night of the election if the ground work has not already been put in place. Also, simply talking about it the week before really won't cut it either.

Now that this has happened, I would suggest incorporating something about the democratic process the responsibility given to voters in an SM minute. Or two or three...

Similar story here..

Not related to the OA, but elections.

October we were electing a new ASPL. In our troop, you're the ASPL for 6 months and then the SPL for 6 months.

I was nominated. Another boy was nominated. From that moment on, the election was a complete joke.

We had the SM's son, former SPL and almost an Eagle, helping the other kid cheat by changing votes! And making up more.

I ended up winning, apparently by one. Had the other kid won though, I would have fought. And if that didnt work, I would have left the troop because that aint right.

Had the Troops OA election last week. The OA team did something a little different from the last few years. Had the names of all the eligible scouts on a pre-printed form with boxes by the names and the directions, place an X in the box by the name of all deserving scouts on the form. Then, they had the scouts form two lines ten feet from a table. The scout wasnt given the ballot until he stepped up to the table to vote, by himself with the other scouts at least 10 feet behind him. They had a scout stand between the scouts voting on the table with a raised scout sign and all others had their sign up. Even though only two scouts voted at a time, and we had 36 scouts in attendance, it didnt take very long and the resulting silence brought on by the raised sign lent a solemnity to the proceedings that was missing in years past.

But Eamonn, that's where the scouts are!!

Reading the wide variety of threads on these forums makes me realize that Scout units are microcosms of our society. I so firmly believe that Scouting is a wonderful growth experience for our young men. I wish I could convince every family in my neighborhood.

Well, I love OGE's input on this. I felt pretty horrible for the OA folks and as I said, I was embarrassed FOR our Troop and I wasn't even present that day for the elections! This type of behavior just adds to the reputation our Troop has built up within the District over the last several years (self-centered!). The new SM, with the help of a few others, is trying to change that but things like this give the Troop several steps back unfortunately.

• 11 months later...

In years past, we've let the OATR have a talk with the Troop about what the Order means. The SM and I have observed from the back. We've then taken offline those who looked like they thought it was going to be a game, as well as those we know to be troublemakers at school. The theme of our talk was simple: This is serious.

We have the TR participate with the team in the counting.

Finally, we pre-certify eligible Scouts and do a pre-printed ballot. Trevorum's comment applies. In fact, since eligibility is an open fact, we also have the TR call for folks who think they might be eligible. Nothing like participation in the process to help maintain responsibility and ownership.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

In the lodge that i am a member of, the unit election teams show a video from national that explains what the oa is and how important it is. Most troops have preprinted ballots that the SM made with the eligible people on it. It usually works and we have pretty good results.