Our Troop Elected for OA, But Some Boys Embarrassed Us All - I Have Questions..

I agree with the preprinted ballots...and I like the idea of one or two voting at a time. Also, our troop members decided they would like every eligible Scout give a brief speech to the troop on why they should be elected in...this also gives them the opportunity to turn down the nomination if they don't want in.

Then...there in the small print...in the end the election stands AT THE SM'S DISCRETION...if an election's results are totally inappropriate, the SM does have the option of negating the vote...we personally haven't had to exercise this option, but have thought about it long & hard on occaision. This is not totally in keeping with the idea of "elected by their peers" premise, but is put in as an emergency measure.

Additionally, only a very limited number of people know the results of these elections until tap out...keeps the excitement level up, and the adult input out.

Vmpost, where is this so called small print? I looked through my copy of the OA's "Guide for Officers and Advisors" and "Guide to Inductions" and I saw nothing about a SM being able to void election results at his/her discretion.

From the "Guide for Officers and Advisors," (2002 printing):

5. The election team leader explains the following to the unit leader:

- This is the current method of election approved by the national OA committee in use by the lodge.

- All eligible youths who receive votes from at least 50% of those who turn in ballots are elected. If no one is elected a second vote may be held immediately, and the result of this vote is final.

10. The votes are counted in private by the election team and the unit leader to determine who has been elected. All votes count equally. If at least one has been elected, the election result is final. If no one is elected, the OA team announces this fact and states that the unit will now be given the opportunity to vote again... The second ballot is then held immediately, and if the unit still elects no one, this is the final result for the year's election. The OA team places a check mark next to the names of those who have been elected.

There is no small print. I added the emphasis.

(edited to add the bold emphasis)

SWScouter(This message has been edited by SWScouter)

I don't enjoy even having to say this...

The part of this thread I consider to be the MOST objectionable was from the original post -- "the whole Troop received a good ear spanking!"

The vote must be accepted and if one is elected the results are final. Leaders should not comment on the vote even when badly done. It is not our election -- it is theirs -- even if they do not respect it.

I feel the point could have been made even more effectively if the leaders had maintained silence and accepted the results exactly as cast. The youth members that made a mockery of the election would have been expecting an angry lecture and when it did not come, would be more likely to understand the solemn nature of the election.

I'm afraid that vmpost is confusing what "powers" the Scoutmaster has. The Scoutmaster may determine who is eligible (note, Scout spirit is a requirement) but after he has made that determination whomever the boys vote in among the eligible candidates stands. Ths Scoutmaster does NOT have veto power.

Unit Election Procedure

1. The Lodge executive board shall determine the time of year that unit elections will be held. The National Order of the Arrow Committee determines what the election procedures are. Unit leaders of the council should be contacted in some manner about when unit elections will be conducted.

2. The Scoutmaster sets the date and place for a unit election and he makes his request for this election through the chapter unit elections chairman. This is either through contact by the chapter or of his own initiative. Then a unit elections team is assigned to the troop and they contact the Scoutmaster to confirm the date, time and place of the unit election.

3. Before the election, the unit elections team must secure from the Scoutmaster verification that at least 50 percent of the active troop membership is present. If 50 percent is not present, then the election cannot be held and must be rescheduled for a later date. The number of registered Scouts and the number of Scouts present is entered in the spaces on the form.

4. The Scoutmaster provides all registered and active members whom he certifies have met all of the eligibility requirements, including Scout Spirit and participation. The names and requested biographical information of these members are entered on the unit elections form.

5. The election team determines who is eligible to vote in the election. To vote, a Scout must be a registered and active member of his troop. In Boy Scouts, every registered, active member of the troop under 21 years of age at the time of the election is eligible to vote. A Boy Scout who carries a current national membership card and participates in at least some troop activities during the year is considered to be a registered, active member of his unit. For example, a youth away at college who participates in some troop activities whenever he is home, such as a campout, camporee, or an occasional troop meeting, is considered to be a registered and active member of his troop. A youth that moves away or drops out of the troop because of other interests is not counted in the determination of the registered and active membership figure. To become a member of the Order of the Arrow, a Boy Scout is chosen through the vote of the youth in his unit. This allows candidates to be elected by non-members, the hallmark of the Order. However, all Lodge members in a troop having a unit election have a vote just like the rest, but a Lodge member absolutely cannot participate in any part of running his own unit's unit election.

6. The election officials (there must always be at least two) explain the following to the Scoutmaster:

 The election procedure used is the current method of election approved by the National Order of the Arrow Committee.

 All eligible youth that receive votes form at least 50 percent of those who turn in ballots are elected.

 If no one is elected, a second vote is held immediately and the results of the second election are final.

7. The OA unit elections team conducts the election. If the Scoutmaster or Assistant

Scoutmaster is an OA member; he or she may explain to the group the purpose of the Order of the Arrow and the basis on which candidates should be chosen for election. However, it is highly preferable that the Scoutmaster leaves this to the unit elections team. After the explanation, the OA officials conduct the election after stressing the following points:

 Select the candidate who, in your opinion, has set the best example of brotherhood, cheerfulness and service.

 Vote only for those that you believe will continue in whole-hearted and unselfish service to your troop.

 If you feel that no one is worthy, turn in a blank ballot with the understanding that this is a vote against all of the candidates.

 If you are new to the troop and do not know the candidates well enough to vote wisely, do not turn in a ballot at all. This will not affect the final results.

 Youth eligible for election may also vote. They may vote for themselves if they feel that they are worthy.

8. When the voting is finished, the OA unit elections team counts the number of ballots turned in and enters this number in the appropriate spot on the sheet.

9. The OA officials determine the minimum number of votes a scout must receive to be elected. This is done by doing the following: if the number is even, divide by two, if not, add one to the number of ballots collected and then divide by two. In other words, the candidate must receive a simple majority vote. The number of votes a youth must receive to be elected is then entered on the unit elections form.

10. The votes are counted in private by the unit elections team and the scoutmaster or his/her designated representative, to determine which scouts have been elected. All votes are counted equally. If at least one Scout has been elected, the results are final. However, if no one is elected, the OA officials announce this to the troop and inform them that they will be given one more opportunity to elect a candidate. Time is allowed for further explanations of the purpose of the Order of the Arrow, election procedure, and any other questions (within reason). No information about the previous vote may be released. The second election is held immediately and if the unit still elects no one, then the election is final. Then the unit elections team should remind the Scoutmaster that the election is final for this year only and will not restrict any elections in the years to come. The OA officials place a check next to the names of those, if any, who have been elected. The Scoutmaster provides information on the candidates' addresses, phone numbers, birthdates, and rank if this information has not already been obtained earlier on. After this is filled in, the Scoutmaster must sign the form. Finally, the Scoutmaster is given the gold copy of the unit elections form after it is signed by the OA officials.

11. As soon as the election is completed, the Scoutmaster may choose to announce to the entire troop the names of those who have been elected. Preferably, the Scoutmaster may wait until an Order of the Arrow Call out Ceremony, at summer camp or specially scheduled, though the ceremony is not required.

12. The unit elections team turns the completed form in to the chapter unit elections chairman, who in turn turns it into the lodge unit elections chairman at the next lodge executive board meeting, minus the chapter copy.

Well...I have been looking for where I read that "small print"...but...there's always a "but" isn't there? Several years ago, when I was told about the fine print, I objected loudly and said that it couldn't be, as it IS the youth's election. I was shown where it read that the SM had the final acceptance or rejection...don't remember the exact wording, but it essentially said don't sign off if you disagree. Time has passed, we are in a small troop, and haven't had anyone eligible for a couple years, so haven't kept up-to-date...as I was preparing for this year's elections, since I was visiting with our OA advisor, I asked where I had read that comment. What I discovered is that IT DOESN'T MATTER...election procedure has changed...most notably this year. So... first, I apologize that I gave outdated information. Second, if it is of dire importance to some of you to know where I read it, I will still look. However, it is a moot point.

It is MY understanding, from talking to the OA advisor, that units may no longer conduct their own elections...a trained OA team (and there is a name for them, although I don't remember it) MUST conduct the election. If they don't, the election is invalid. Additionally, the election form must be signed off by the SM and DE, or two different people at any rate, even if I don't have the exact 2.

I don't have the paperwork yet with the new requirements, so this is not gospel! Before you have a tissy...CHILL. However, the message I would send is: everyone needs to check new requirements BEFORE they hold elections this year!

First, I should have said this before and I didn't. Vmpost, welcome to the forum. I hope you find it helpful for you, I know I have. I feel I gave you a poor welcome with my responses to a couple of your posts. Please accept my apologies.

Yes, I have heard there were some changes. It's my understanding that there is a more recent "Guide for Officers and Advisors," than I quoted from too. You are correct, we should strive to follow the current policies and procedures.

SWScouter

• 5 months later...

I was in a troop during college for a few years as an adult that held their first ever oa elections that year. I think it was 2004. The troop was began in 1924 and is a heavy mic-o-say troop. It took a new scoutmaster who was willing to experiment and follow the scouting program to the letter at the same time to build a small but high quality troop.

Anyways, they called the district oa advisor to arrange for one. the district is a bit unorganized in that manner. The guy came alone and ran the election. This struck everyone as very odd. I was one of two oa members, I received it in a different troop and one adult from district the year before. We questioned the process instantly since no youth performed the election or was even present.

The scoutmaster worked with the lodge and had the election striked. A team of youth were brought up by a different adult to run the election. More scouts were elected this time though not all attended the ordeal. The only area that struck me as odd is that the scoutmaster basically planted a vote for as many as possible direction in the kids heads between elections, but it was a ton better than the first one either way.

Elections can be screwy at times.