Brotherhood conversion ratios

Here is an email we just received from our Lodge Advisor... It's interesting in light of our recent thread on the "50% election" subject.

Also - just to toss in another stirring of the pot, I find it amazing that the BSA is one of the few organizations where you are never a recognized alumni (except for Eagle Scout COH) unless you are "paying dues". Can't wear the flap unless you pay dues, and can't wear the sash unless you pay dues, in fact you can't reflect on your days in scouting by wearing an old uniform unless you are currently registered.

Good thing we don't see that on Veterans Day, or at college campuses...

--- Anyway - here's the info from our Lodge Advisor on the status of Brotherhood numbers.

-----------

Fellow Arrowmen,

We are nearing the end of 2004 and we have made almost every goal for Quality Lodge except for one major goal...... BROTHERHOOD CONVERSION

We need approximately 50 more Brotherhood conversions before December 1st. This should be a very easy task since we have 2,052 Ordeal members in the Lodge that have yet to become a Brotherhood honor member. Many of these Arrowmen also wear our Lodge flap without paying any dues.

There are 445 current dues paying Ordeal members of the Lodge that are eligible today to become a Brotherhood honor member. We only need 50 more conversions! This should be extremely easy.

Failure of the Lodge to achieve Quality Lodge will reflect poorly on everyone. We are to close to achieving this goal - let's make it happen.

The OA pocket ribbon signifies that you were elected to OA and passed your Ordeal.

The Lodge flap signifies that you are a member in good standing of your local Lodge. If you fail to pay your dues, you are no longer a member of the lodge and should remove the flap. You may not belong to a lodge (and wear the flap) other than the one serving the Council where you are currently registered.

The OA sash may only be worn at OA functions.

ScoutLdr - I don't know if this was "legal" or not. But, when I was in college, I joined the lodge in the council where my school was located. I was still a registered scouter back home, but I wanted to participate in functions closer to school. They didn't make me do it, I did it voluntarily. Since I was participating in the tap-out team and attending functions, it only made sense to be a member of that lodge.

If you relocate and then [for lack of a better word] "join" a different lodge than from whence you came, you must also be registered with the council that the lodge serves. You cannot be registered with more than one council at one time; however, it has often been the case when some paperwork and filing has been overlooked and one can acutually "get away" with having duel membership. This doesn't really make much sense, to be registered in 2 different councils/lodges, especially if they are a great distance away from each other...

Actually, you are close, but not quite right.

My understanding is you may be a member of as many councils as you wish. However, you may only be a member of one OA Lodge at a time. That OA Lodge must be the lodge for a council in which you are registered.

That being said, it is possible to pay dues in multiple lodges so that you recieve their mailings and such, and to attend events at multiple lodges. The trouble is making certain they understand which lodge you are actually a member of.

An example of how this sort of thing could happen may go like this:

A Scout turns 18 and becomes a SA in their home troop.

Then they move away to college, but maintain contacts at home.

The 18 y/o joins a Venturing Crew as a youth in the place their college is located, which happens to be in another council, while maintaining registration in the old troop.

Now this person could choose to be a member of either lodge, and if they wished, could pay for mailings in the other, and attend the events and activities of both.

Proud Eagle - You nailed me exactly except for the venturing line. I never registered with the council where I went to college. I did work at their scout camp, help with some activities, and socialize with some other scouts at college. These activities got me interested in participating in their lodge, so I started paying fees to them as well, so I could participate both at home and at school.