Adults at OA meetings

What do adults do at your OA chapter meetings? Around here, we frequently have more adults show up than youth. Some are parents of the youth members attending, but most are not. They are the ones with tons of square knots, WB beads, a coffee cup hanging from the belt...you know the type. Mostly, they just sit around the edge of the room and chit-chat with each other, which I find distracting. I think they just come for the socializing. I have suggested to the chapter advisor that, perhaps the adults should have a separate meeting (same time, different room) and discuss "adult stuff", like how they can be of "cheerful service" at an adult level. I tried to use the opportunity to recruit training staff, but with OA meetings and such, they're "way too busy already."

I'd be interested in other opinions. My observation is that only about 10% (or less) of our registered membership are actually active (attend meetings and other functions). The rest just enjoy wearing the flap. Is this the norm?

scoutldr,

Wearing the patch is a full time occupation for many. The pay is low but the benefits of sitting around are very rewarding. The wearing of the square knots and the hanging of the coffee mug from the Philmont Scout belt is a sacred ritual thought by many to bring rain in dry seasons. The adults that are interrupting the meetings by talking and socializing is a privilege given from birth and should be honored by all of those in attendance.

Is it the norm? A recent survey showed it to be so.

I hope this helps.

FB

10% is a good estimate of the norm.I'm the chapter advisor for a chapter that carries between 300 and 400 members on it's roster.My average meeting is around 20 youth and maybe 1/2 dozen adults(these are mostly the ones who function as support people).Unless a question is put up for general comment,adult speaking is discouraged.If they need to chat they can leave room.I'm out of the room most of the time.The chief and I've allready spoken about what is being covered in meeting and he knows where to find me if he needs me.

I've useually got at least one of the adults cornered in the hallway recruiting him to help with things that adults are good for like driving.we have our chapter meeting in same building at same time as Roundtable so superfolous

(oops unruley mouse sent unfinished)

Superfluous adults are encouraged to participate in roundtable pullouts.We have a good email list and any needs that we have for adult help are communicated regularly and we make sure that they are kept informed of lodge and chapter news.They can have the parking lot meetings in the parking lot.

The chapter is run by the boys with advice from advisors and support from adult members.This is our general meeting we also have ceremonies meetings which is a whole other group of 20 or so,a few of those crossover into general meeting.We have a ceremonies vice chief and associate advisor.They give reports on well being of that part of program.

General meeting focuses on programs such as District level merit badge clinics,WEBELOS Woods and camporee.Actually we have around 100 who are active at some point by helping us with these different programs.

SR540Beaver,The OA is a service organization,our chapter helps in the planning and running of most district events.

Our Lodge takes on major projects at one of our councils camps every year,we use lodge money and lots of man hours to

upgrade our camps.We've built campfire bowls,with heavy duty benchs and we've built activity shelters at camps recently.

Besides that our ordeals are used to prepare our 4 boyscout camps and 2 of our cubscout camps for summer camp.

If you have no clue what the OA is ,you have,either not been paying attention or your Lodge needs a little improvement.

(This message has been edited by wojauwe)

• 1 month later...

Great Question

The adult members of the order of the arrow are advisors to the youth leadership, whether they like it or not. Along with donating a lifetime of cheerful service, they are more or less expected to impart their knowledge and wisdom upon younger generations. A perfect example is the elders of any indian nation.

I would Encourage each adult to relay his/ her imput on any subject, make suggestions and generally interact with the youth run meeting. Imput they add could prove to be invaluable. Other than that, I would encourage you to give them something to work on to pass the time.

An example in my chapter is Beads. Each adult makes beaded necklaces for ordeal, and brotherhood honorees, as a service to our chapter. After an ordeal or brotherhood ceremony, the adults bestow these beads on the newly honored member. It is our chapter's way of honoring them. (and it keeps the adults busy)

Any beading or craft that is benificial to the chapter, adults tend to be willing to do, including reskinning drums, making breastplates, etc. It helps cut down on the noise they make by chatting if they are working with their hands and listening intently to add their imput when appropriate.

Brandon

Former Serrano CC, 2nd Vice Cahuilla Lodge