In the old days, new candidates were tapped out. Due to the fact that there is no nationally dictated ceremony for this, some lodges became quite inventive in their methods. Unfortunately, at least a few did things that could be physically harmful or would now be considered hazing. Therefore, the OA put out new guidelines that changed the tap-out into the call-out. Many now believe that any physical contact during ceremonies is prohibited. However, a careful read of the Guide for Officers and Advisers, and the Guide to Inductions, reveals there is no such policy.

On page 18 of the Guide to Inductions the clearest explanation can be found. The section is titled "Framework for the Call-Out Ceremony".

"Tapping

Any physical contact in any Order of the Arrow ceremony must be symbolic in nature."

There is a somewhat misleading line under Items Not to Include, but those with a proper understanding of symbolic progression understand what this line is talking about.

So my reading is that at least some of the old style tap-outs are currently allowed. (Though obviously anything that violates symbolic progression, injures someone, or qualifies as hazing would not be allowed.)

I would have liked to put this in the restricted section, but I seem to be having difficulties getting into that section (yes I know how to spell the admonition). So remember that anyone can read this thread.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

I can't get into the OA section, but then again my spelling could be off!!

As of last summer, we were still tapping. From where I was standing it did look like those on the tap out team used a little more energy on the lads that they knew!!

Eamonn

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I was tapped out into the OA as a youth, my lodge wasn't trully taping us out as they had the year before. Also I cannot get into the OA section either and I have doubled checked my spelling with the national OA website, so I know I'm not off.

I have been told by old timers (who should know) that seriously there were boys who got tapped so hard they had their collar bone broken. That was what they say caused the change in rules. I would guess breaking a kids bones is pretty hard to hide as hazing... with a trip to the hospital and all. Now our council holds a feather up behind the boy's head to "call them out" and the only physical contact is holding (or shaking) hands. It is all very symbolic anyway, and none of what I say here is information sensitive to the OA.

Recently at our own camporee the Call Out ceremony was cancelled due to rain because the costumes are too valuable to get wet. The OA says it is optional for the boy to be told ahead of time by his unit that he has been elected, and what really matters is for the boy to get his letter inviting him to the Ordeal. It must not be that important anymore, because in our situation with the rain there was no alternate ceremony and those boys will go on their Ordeal having never been in a Call Out.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

After some years with symbolic calling out, our troop ceremony team performed ceremony at the District Camporee. Some of the old timers were surprised to see Allowat (my eldest son) perform traditional tapping. It was clearly symbolic and restrained - until my next oldest son was brought before the Chief of the Fire. With a twinkle of mischief and sparkle of pride in his eyes, Allowat let him have it with just a touch more vigor.

Best part was my wife drove out to watch that night. It was her first time to view an OA ceremony after hearing me talk about them for over 25 years. It was beautifully executed - pure magic. She was awestruck and finally understands a little bit more about these strange male-folk she lives with.

My lodge does a call out. After the person has been called out, they take a couple steps forward run up to some brothers tell them their name, troop number and town, and then that brother announces it. After this information is announced, they run off to a secret location and go through their first ceremony.

• 1 month later...

At the Tamegonit Lodge, we tie the kid to a post, lay a bundle of sticks at his feet, drench him in gasoline, and set the whole thing on fire. The candidate must scream the Admonition in at least 16 different Native American languages before the fire is put out. That is followed by forcing the candidate to take off his shirt and then the Principles proceed to brand on his back with a hot iron, an arrow. The candidate his then dragged to the pool where he is thrown in, then held under water for exactly 12 minutes (one for each point of the Scout Law). Then, to follow in the fashion of the noble warrior in the legend, he is forced to face all 4 Principles in hand-to-hand combat. He is then hung upside-down by his feet from an oak tree and left there for 12 days without food (this, of course, to teach the candidate the virtues of strength and self-denial). The final test is to jump off an airplane and recite the Obligation (forwards and backwards) 23 times before he makes a graceful flip and swan dive directly into the council fire. He is then admitted into the Order in the Ordeal Ceremony. This process is usually performed at the local hospital, mental asylum, and/or cemetary, whichever is appropriate.

Ah, but not to worry, no one's died yet.

Tamegonit Arrowman

Tamegonit Arrowman,

Many thanks for the description. However you failed to say if you call out or tap out?

The ceremony you describe is very similar to the way some old time Scouts used to describe Wood Badge. Do you think that there is a reason for this?

Eamonn.

Why, thank you! Always a pleasure to observe, preserve, and interpret the traditions of the Order of the Arrow.

On a side note, I would pay to see a Meteu vs. Allowat Sakima deathmatch. Do you it would be possible to arrange something like that for NOAC? Perhaps a fight to the death between the Nutikets of all the different lodge C-Teams represented? Of course, being as it would, a physical touch, we would have to incorporate therein some kind of symbolism. I recommend a bow for each Principle, with 12 arrows allotted to each (representing, obviously, the Scout Law).

And for the last man standing, he gets the grand prize of...conducting a service project to clean up Washington, DC!

This is the Brotherhood of Cheerful Service, after all.

TA

Our Chapter does a call out for new candidates.

We tap out our vigil selections at the Lodge awards banquet.

Chief of the fire does whisper in your ear"hard or soft?" before whacking you.

• 2 months later...

I was Tapped-Out this summer and I really enjoyed the ceremony. Where I got tapped out, Kitchkinet walks up behind you while you are standing and looking forward, he then shoves you forward and you are "dragged" up to the stage by two people. I see no problem in this and don't understand why some people don't like it.

I'm glad to hear that some lodges continue the great traditions of the past, while respecting the rules of today. I was very disappointed with the call-out ceremony at this year's camp. I had told my son and some other scouts about this neat ceremony. (When I was a scout I had been Allowat and Kitchkenet during several tap-outs.) I was disappointed with the lack of substance or pageantry in the ceremony, as was the scouts. It's no wonder that the OA is struggling in this area.