OA Conclave - thumbs up!

Our section OA Conclave was held in Maui over the weekend; two of the four Arrowmen in my Troop went, including little KS. A little more logistics for us than most, I'd say, what with the requirement to fly if you planned to attend (unless you're a VERY strong swimmer).

I thought the $65 conclave fee was incredibly reasonable for a long weekend on Maui. Council had staffers at the airport in Honolulu and Maui to facilitate/provide transportation; no hitches.

Upon his return, he said the program was good, the food was very good, he had a great time with the other Arrowmen, and to top it all off, he handed me a box of Krispy-Kreme donuts when I picked him up at the airport (they have Krispy-Kreme in Maui, but not on Oahu). Now, I had to share with Mrs. KS and sister KS, but the gesture wasn't lost on me.

Oh, I'm sure there were internal staff hiccups; there always are. But, to the target audience, the thing went off without a hitch. I'm going to let Council leadership know that. Sometimes, it seems our bar is set so high, that if something goes perfectly, well, it was supposed to. And if just one thing goes wrong, then you're a bum. That's too bad...

KS

One of the things they did at the conclave was pump up the NAOC, being held at some midwestern college (makes travel easiest for most, being centrally located, I suppose). When they schedule a NAOC on the campus of Hawaii Pacific University, I think you'll see the rolls of active Arrowmen swell with anticipation.

NFL moved the Pro Bowl here permanently 25 years ago. As they say, "...a million flies can't be wrong...".

KS

I have never heard of a conclave that wasn't fun.

When I was lodge chief the conclave we went to was cold, wet, and windy all day. During the night there was a tornadic thunderstorm. Even despite the misreable conditions it was still a fun activity.

The National Order of the Arrow Conference is also a great activity. I went to both the 2000 NOAC at UT and the 2002 NOAC at IU. Both were great. I will be going to the 2004 NOAC in Iowa. If it were in Hawaii very few people would be able to go. I certainly wouldn't be able to go. The primary reason most youth (and some adults) do not attend NOAC is the cost. Certainly it would be cheaper for those on the islands, but it would be more expensive for the other 99% of us.