" If the mandatory Venture transfer is true (it does correspond with what I have seen), then it is a likely contributing factor (cause?) of the rank option."

That's why I was wondering about the Mormon influence in Scouting 50 or more years ago. Sea Scouts could work on all Boy Scout ranks back in the 20's. Explorer Scouts could work toward Eagle in the 30's. The tradition/policy has continued through the current incarnation of the program, Venturing.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left my troop at age 14 as a Life Scout and joined an Explorer Post at the urging of my high school buddies. I made Eagle 2 years later, due in no small part to my Post Advisor's foot in my backside most of the time. I was also Chapter Vice Chief, and my Post Advisor was also Chapter Advisor. He won the Silver Beaver, Vigil Honor and OA Distinguished service award. During that time, Exploring went Co-ed. The girls who joined were also Girl Scouts. As I recall, our Post (Fire and Rescue) provided first aid/ambulance service at all OA events and the girls were right there with us, although not "members" of the OA. If it were not for that opportunity, I probably would have tired of teaching knots to 11 year olds and dropped out. My Post Advisor passed away in 1986 and was honored with a Fireman's funeral. The church was packed with uniformed firemen and Scouters and the route to the cemetery was lined with saluting police officers and fire fighters at every intersection as his flag draped casket was borne on the back of a fire engine. I was crying so hard, my wife had to drive. Next to my Dad, he was the most important man in my life. 18 years later, I am still scouting. I have a lot to repay.

What does this have to do with flaps? I don't know. But anything that keeps kids (male or female) in the program is a good thing.

Lodge Flaps are optional.

As for the "Mormon" connection. The LDS Church was one of the "orginal" Charter Organizations back in 1913 (or so I have been told).

As for the program seperations.

Cubs: 8 years thru 10 years

Boy Scouts: 11 thru 13, 11 year olds meet seperate.

Varsity Scouts:14 thru 15

Venturing: 16 thru 18 (you don't see too many after 19, they go on "missions" for the Church).

Also boys can be registered in more than one unit. It is very common to see a 17 year old Venturer also registered as a JASM with the Troop. Also, a lot of LDS units are registering their Varsity Scout as Venturers too. So as to get dual credit for Venturing Awards.

Sorry for straying too far from the thread.

I really can't provide any hard facts about the LDS issue. However I did have a Mormon friend who got his Eagle a bit before I did. I also conducted OA elections with the LDS unit once or twice. The ages of those present for the election seemed to be about 13-17. I also know of several others who got Eagle through that troop that were well over 14. It is possible the local LDS church decided to change things a bit to fit their number of youth and what not. I seem to rember the troop had less than a dozen youth members in total.

Now the fact that Sea Scouts and Explorers were able to earn Boy Scout advancements from the beggining is something I didn't know. I would certainly be interested in learning more about why that was done, and why it remained a part of those programs through the years.

As to meltona's post, there are females in OA. All of them are adult members over the age of 21. Now if you think female youth members would be a disaster that would be a somewhat more reasonable argument. I can certainly see how it would make planning chapter, lodge, section, region, and national events more difficult than it is now.

"I would certainly be interested in learning more about why that was done, and why it remained a part of those programs through the years."

I would guess that it was because the "Senior" programs were considered a part of the natural progression of Scouting and, remember, waaaaay back then girls weren't in any BSA program.

In my late 40's Handbook it says when a boy reaches 14 that he becomes an Explorer. He may stay with his troop as an Explorer or join a Post. I can't quote it exactly because my wife "put away" my books which means that I may not see them for two or three years.

• 11 months later...

From what I understand you have to be a member of Boy Scouts to be in the Order. Any ways, to those who have a venture/Sea Scout unit, what my unit dose is just wear the red and whit ribbion, no flap. Also from what I understand, no flap if you are not active, and you can wear the ribbion and/or the flap.

You have to be a youth member of a Troop or team to be elected as a youth to the OA. You have to be registered in the BSA, any program, to be an active member of the Order of the Arrow. To wear any of the symbols of the Order you must be a dues paying active member of the lodge of the council where you are registered. If your are in Venturing or Sea Scouts you may wear the flap and pocket rocket if you pay your dues.