I have washed mine with good success...I put it in one of those mesh bags to keep it from winding up around the agitator and use the gentle cycle. Yes, the red thread is unravelling...the one I received in 1968 seems to be of much better quality, although it has shrunk noticeably :-(. The lodge did receive a batch recently with one half of the snap missing. I believe they were sent back...to Bangladesh or wherever they were made. The sash being part of the uniform, I believe it should NOT be worn with civilian clothes...unless by a ceremonial team or the aforementioned Elangomats, who

• 3 weeks later...

"The newbie white sparkly sashes are derided by the "vets." They deride sash "condoms" that some use to protect their sash during work. I also believe they do this because they know it drives their parents, particularly moms, crazy and the majority being 12-16 year olds, they revel in that!"

Troops sure are different. We try to hang on to our original sashes keeping them clean. We do protect our sashes. Somewhere back in our troop's "legends", it was decided that sash washing is bad.

I think the quality of the sashes has gotten worse. We noticed that on the new sashes this camping session.

I know what you mean about the bad snaps on the sashes. I was serving as an Elangomat at an Ordeal when my sash just fell off whenever I picked it up I noticed that the snap had broken, since then I've gone through two other sashes this year, my current sash seems to be holding pretty well. As for washing sashed I don't believe in washing them however I have had mine dry cleaned on a few occasions. I also keep one new sash around for ceremonial purposes, except when I'm in ceremonial regalia I choose to wear my gruby sash to exemplify that the OA is a service organization to the canidates and members. I only have problems with thread nraveling on my sash after an Ordeal don't know why maybe its the shock of getting dirtier?(HEE, HEE)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a trick that anybody has on keeping the thread from unraveling?

There has to be a glue that would fix it.

If the snaps are falling off, there has to be an easy fix for that also.

People that are familiar with sewing techniques would most likely know these anwers. Surely these have to be easy fixes?

FB

Actually if you go to a fabric store there is a no fray product.comes in spray form ,tubes and brush in bottle.

It's for edges. We some times use it to save sewing time

on regalia.Does a pretty good job stopping fraying on cut edges.

Also you can get snaps.They go on like leather rivets.

Can find these in craft shops where leather work supplies are found or in some Fabric stores.

I've washed my sash in regular warm wash with no problems.

I'm not sure what you mean by wearing the OA sash on the belt, but when I was on camp staff (long ago), we would fold the sash in two and loop it over our belt at our side to carry it on Thursday afternoons. We were usually pretty busy preparing for parents night and the call-out and staff village wasn't always very convenient. We never considered that to be wearing the sash- just carrying it until it was time to put it on.

I once came across a troop in which all of the Arrowmen carried their sashes in a fringed leather pouch that hung from their belt. You can get the pouches at the Scout Shop. They folded the sash inside out so the fuzz from the pouch would get on the outside of the sash.

As a Chapter Chief I'm going to try and answer the first question.

I would not wear the Order of the Arrow Sash to either event. The Order of the Arrow Sash should be worn only to represent the Order of the Arrow. It is correct to wear it to Order of the Arrow Events such as meetings, Unit Elections & Promotions, Ceremonies, etc. In my mind it should not be worn during troop activities wear the Order of the Arrow is not meant to be directly represented. However, as an Order of the Arrow member he should also live with a Cheerful & helpful attitude.

As far as washing the sash I would say it is a go. If it has a stain put some oxidizing agent on it. Then throw it in with some whites and follow the directions set on your washer. DO NOT USE BLEACH!!!

• 2 months later...

In my lodge,Waupecan, our Lodge Advisers do not like it at all when a member wears his/her Order of the Arrow sash when not wearing the field shirt. As far as the OA sash/MB sash, at Troop functions, one is to wear the MB sash. At OA functions one is to wear his/her OA sash. We have scouts that wear their OA sash when they are not supposed to and scouts who wear their OA sash over their shoulder and the MB sash over their belt. It drives me crazy because I strive to be in the most complete and correct uniform at all times.

Yours in W.W.W.,

Waupecan4life197

As a former OA Staff Advisor I would see many of the adults wear the OA sash on their belts. The reason was they had expanded in the waistline (gut) area and the sash did not fit around them anymore so they decided that this was a way to wear it, and it gave them a distinctive look on the belt. I told them it was not official policy and they should buy a bigger one to wear it properly. Well you can imagine the reaction I received, like I asked them to give up their firstborn, but most of them obliged. The funny thing was that shortly after the group had some leather belt pouches made which they wore all the time, I bet you can guess what was inside of them.

I recall a past section chief at a section conclave encouraging all arrowmen to wear their sashes [with of course their full uniforms] to troop meetings and such so as to make the Order's presence known.

The same might apply to other situations involving scouts with little knowledge of the Order of the Arrow. I, personally, agree with this idea, and I think that wearing the sash institutes a sense of respect and honor to those who wear it, and the ideals which it represents.

I happen to think that while your former section chief had his heart in the right place, he obviously hadn't fully taken into account the actual policy on the matter. The sash is not meant to be worn to regular troop functions, or as an extra decoration for special events.

Instead, the OA sash is to be worn at OA events, and when representing the Order. So wearing the sash to each and every troop meeting would not be following the policies set by the Order. I don't think it is a good way to foster respect for a group by violating its policies.

Now, there are a few times that bending the rules would perhaps be justified. If there is some special tie in between the meeting and the OA, I can see asking OA members to wear the sash to that particular meeting, even if there is no official OA activity taking place at the meeting. There are also some cases where it may be OK to wear the sash to a COH, such as a highly involved and dedicated OA member being recognised in some way. Though in my experience, generally the more involved and dedicated people are, the more likely they are to interpret policy in a strict way.

However, I personally prefer to go the safe route. Wear the sash to OA events and meetings (I would say having troop members wear the sash during the visit by the elections and promotions teams would fall under this category). Wear the sash when officially representing the Order (or the lodge or chapter). At other times, it is probably not a very good idea to wear the sash.