Bear in mind, I'm a newbie, so this may have been discussed at length before but......

My son is a newly elected OA troop representative. His first BOR and COA since election are coming up soon. My question is then, does he wear his OA sash to either one or just his MB sash? He'll not be exactly in an OA capacity, but he is the troop rep, so in essence he is "always on duty" isn't he? He never wears both together either, correct?

Also, also in our area, several people from young boys to old adults wear their OA sash at the waist over the belt. I can't imagine this would EVER be appropriate--it is a shoulder sash I assume for a reason, but I could be wrong--but is this an accepted/proper practice?

Also, they'll be having uniform inspection this week. Does he wear the MB or OA sash or neither?

My son always wants to "lead by example" so he really wants to do it right.

Thanks for all the help. I'm really glad to learn from y'all.

Regards,

MollieD.

Your correct that the two sashes are never worn at the same time, and neither is to be worn draped over a belt. A good rule of thumb is to wear the MB sash for formal troop occassions and the OA sash when representing the OA.

Because your son is the troop's OA Representative he will have his choice on many occassions as to which would be appropriate. IN most of his cases as long as he just wears one and wears it correctly he'll be doing just fine.

BW

It seems that wearing a sash over the belt has become a "local custom" and many do it because they think that it is a proper thing to do. After all, so many others do it, it must be okay. :-)

Its not the right thing to do. You can mention it to the offender but I don't think that it is worth getting bent out of shape over.

Much gnashing of teeth occurs with when to wear the OA belt. What BW stated is correct; one should wear the OA sash at OA functions only. Now, my rule of thumb is that the OA sash in our troop is worn on our troop meeting night for OA elections, at summer camp call-out ceremonies, at all OA meetings but generally not at Court of Honors. We generally do not consider our troop COH an OA function. Your son should have an OA Rep position badge (if that is his primary position).

Now my question, I've seen Arrowmen wear the OA sash with "civilian" clothes at OA functions. Is this appropriate?

Use this as a rule. Wear the OA sash only over the right shoulder and no where else. If worn, wear it at OA specific events as acco40 stated. The merit badge sash should only be worn over the should too. Many scouts wear the OA and/or merit badge sashes on belts, please help prevent this. If you need actual reference publications or references for this, I'll research if needed. The OA pocket flap covers any OA/lodge affiliation during non-OA functions such as COH, BOR, and even Eagle BOR.

I can't think of a good reason to wear an OA sash while otherwise out of uniform, but I suppose it couldn't hurt. You can wear the sash over your jammies at night -- what ever trips your trigger. But if there is a compelling reason to do so, I don't know who would object. Perhaps if the OA is performing the opening or closing of a work day when the work is too grubby for even an activity uniform.

I've seen on other threads where folks have read the "other OA functions" verbage so broadly as to cover any function. If the activity isn't exclusively an OA function, then the OA sashes should be worn only if there as good reason for it -- such as a meeting where the Arrowmen are ushers or campouts where the OA is providing a special service.

The only time I seen an OA sash worn over non-Scout Uniform has been when a Scout is serving as an Elingomat (I never spell it right so I hope it is close). He is serving as a guide to a clan of Ordeal candidates. He will wear his sash the whole time and while they are performing cheerful service he will wear it over grubies not wanting even to get his activity uniform trashed. This helps to identfy him to both the candidates and to others if they need to find him. Many proudly wear that dirty sash as they serve multiple times, but they purchase another one for more formal occasions. The other time I have seen it is the Camp OA Chief may have worn it over his camp activity uniform.

Since the thread has been soundly answered, does anyone have a practical answer for this one?

If your sash gets dirty, can you wash it?

If you can wash it, what are the washing instructions?

The red on white thread appears to be a combination for a pink sash.

In our lodge (are the numbers really going away?), the boys emphasize the fact that the OA is a SERVICE organization more than an honorary organization and as such, a dirty sash is a sign that the Scout has done service. The newbie white sparkly sashes are derided by the "vets." They deride sash "condoms" that some use to protect their sash during work. I also believe they do this because they know it drives their parents, particularly moms, crazy and the majority being 12-16 year olds, they revel in that!

I do know some have washed them (not many in my neck of the woods) and I haven't seen any pink sashes yet. Maybe with modern detergents in cold water the colors stay fast. My son and I have never washed ours to date.(This message has been edited by acco40)

I've seen some run in the rain and the arrow unravel by the next fellowship. We have had the snaps just fall off as they are putting them on for the first time. It just depends on the batch and what may work for washing for one may turn the sash pink for another. I dont think washable is in the specs the national supply sends out for bid.

As others noted, it is an acceptable practice to wear the sash over civvies at Ordeals to distinguish members from candidates.

I would not run an OA sash through the wash with regular laundry. I have hand washed OA sashes in luke warm or cold water using a cold water detergent such as Woolite.

• 3 months later...

One can, of course, buy a second OA sash for ceremonial purposes. I also knew of a lodge where the custom was that one would wear one's Ordeal sash as an Ordeal member, then when one became a Brotherhood member, one would wear the Brotherhood sash for ceremonial occasions and their old Ordeal sash for work occasions.

As far as wearing an OA sash with "civilian" clothes, I can think of one possible circumstance which would unquestionably be OK. A Venturing crew can choose their uniform and could choose "civilian" clothes as the uniform. In this case, a person who was an OA member and joined that Crew could wear the OA sash with their Crew uniform.

As to when to wear the sash, the advice given by others covers it well. While I was Lodge Chief I did not wear my sash to all events. Instead I wore it to OA functions, and when I was representing the Order. I would suggest troop reps should not wear the sash to normal troop meetings, but if making an OA related presentation (such as promoting the next lodge event, or promoting a lodge sponsored council wide service project) at a troop meeting or PLC, it would be appropriate to wear the sash. Normally he would be wearing his universal arrow ribon, lodge flap, and his OA troop rep patch to signify his membership in the Order, and lodge, and his position or responsibility respectively.

I am not so sure about wearing the sash with a local crew option uniform. I think the sash is only to be worn with the various official BSA field uniforms. It isn't worn with the activities uniform, nor it worn with the dress uniform (at least to my knowledge).

There are only two times the sash is worn with something other than the official uniform (to the best of my knowledge)-

when serving as an elangomat

when in regalia for an OA ceremony

Unfortunately, since BSA gave the crews the option of creating an official crew uniform, this subject is a bit less than clear. However my interpretation would be that the sash can be worn with the official Venturing uniform but not with a crew uniform.

Related qestion- does anyone know what the proper way to wear the sash would be if the person is in the BSA field uniform and is wearing the official red jack-shirt? It seems it might be possible to wear it either under or over the red jack-shirt, but I don't know of anything that spells that out.

• 1 month later...

I believe I read somewhere that the OA sash can be worn with the dress uniform as it is an official BSA uniform. However, I'm not sure and can't remember where I saw this. Also, I was at a Section conclave a while back and it was a cold weekend and many of the section officers and other vigil members where wearing their sash over their jackets.

(This message has been edited by scouting-nerd)