OA / MoS / High Adventure unit being formed Down Under

At the jamboree in just over a weeks time I intend to run a forum for Scouts in my region. The topic will be the pro's and con's of forming a special organisation catering for Scouts 12-16 who need more challenges than younger Scouts. (trying to deal with drop out rates etc)

I intend an OA/MOS/high adventure patrol / troop. The Scouts seem to want adventure and I want to tie in survival training / aboriginal culture as well. I am having some success using aboriginal icons etc in ceremonies.

I am looking for advice about structure, meeting schedules, ratio leader:scouts, activities that prove popular in the US etc.

We are from a rural and coastal area. The region intended is some 90 minutes driving time top to bottom. About 8 Troops might be involved and I suspect Patrols might be formed from neighbouring Troops throughout the region with combined meetings less often.

I can and will again access OA and MoS sites. I do not need links to them but am keen to look at specific units.

I have spoken to a few of you already about this and have kept our discussions on disk. Thanks again for your interest.

I'm unsure what a MoS is?

Here is where I land myself in hot water. The OA while it does a lot of outstanding work at our Council Camp sites building things and getting the camps ready for summer it really does nothing with high adventure. Our Lodge meets four times a year on weekends and holds a banquet once a year.

I also don't know how your organization is run as far as age groups but the younger Lads aged 12 and 13 do they really need this? Back in the UK when I was there Scouts were from age 11 to 16. We did a lot of weekend camping in the summer up until October, then we eased up over the winter. Easter which was a 3 week school vacation was when we would take the Patrol Leaders to visit where we would be going for summer camp. These Lads really thought that they were the cats whiskers, not only were they the only ones allowed to go but they had the inside track on what was happening. We of course had the hikes and outings that the older Scouts needed to do for the Chief Scouts Award. Again I don't know how advancement works over there. Here in the US after First Class everything is done on or with Merit Badges. Back home while there were a few required proficiency badges there was a lot of required activities, these alone were enough to provide the adventure that the Scouts needed.

My son is active in the OA,he likes it because it is not a troop activity. While there are others in these forums who know the set up far better then I do, it is a complicated structure. The Chief of the fire is the Council Exec. He appoints a Lodge Advisor and from there down it is boy led.

Anyhow I wish you all the best of British luck

Eamonn

Oz, go for it. If I can be of help let me know. I will try to get my brothers (2) email addresses to you for more input.

Eamonn, Mic-O-Say is a non OA organization based in Kansas City, Mo and St. Joseph, Mo that is getting ready to celebrate 75 years of existence and over 50,000 members. If you want more info let me know and I will be happy to provide what I can.

Peace

yis

Eammon valid questions. I have researched the need and potential from this end twice over 15 tyears running an organisation for specfic lengths of time based on an OA handbook someone had. Now I think it is time to get more permanent about it.

I have found that the drop out age is about 13, (basic training is complete and they want some activities without the younger ones - raising the bar I suppose). Troops here do not have enough 13 and up to do anything very adventurous. Combining our 12 and up for several Troops and the Venturer Units would give them peers (our patrols are not age based) and enough people to tailor some adventures for a sub groups interests. ie one lot goes canoeing and another goes bushwalking or climbing etc.

It is also recognition of the standards attained by older Scouts and a social opportunity.

FOG - possibly. Historical basis has a Troop known as the Scouts Own Troop. Catchy but has conotation of an overly spiritual focus. (In Autsralia Scouts spiritual services are called Scouts Owns). Local Goori tribe is the Bundjalung nation and my home horde group is the Wiyabul. I am leaning that way but we will see.

RF - thanks - your brothers are MoS?

Still looking for suggestions / US experience in raising such combined Troop organisations.

Have you had a dedicated adult leader who has the organisation as their main Scouting job?

Do you have adult mentors for the office holders?

How often was practical to meet for maintaining momentum without impacting unduly on home Troops? (remember our travel time ranges up to 1 1/2 hors within my District)

What return should there be for Troops to encourage their older Scouts to participate?

What major goals do you have? ie annual, three yearly etc?

Advancement or recognition within this organisation - what do your Scout like the most?