If a Venturing Crew member cannot be a member of the OA, (although certainly a scout who is in the OA can be a member of a Venturing Crew), why would he want to wear an OA sash with a Venture shirt? OA is a Boy Scout program, the youth is a member of the OA because his TROOP elected him, why wouldnt he proudly wear his Boy Scout Uniform?

Otherwise, if its not addressed in the Insignia Guide, wear it

OGE,

A venturing crew member that was elected as a youth in a boy scout troop and then moves to a crew can wear the venturing uniform with his lodge flap on it. see http://www.oa-bsa.org/qanda/qa-35.htm. so if he can wear a flap he can wear a sash too. We have meany adults that are venturing advisors that attend OA events in venturing uniform and wear the sash.

Yipes!!

I think I have got it all wrong??

I thought that:

Once you were "Legally Elected" into the Order, you were in. No matter where you went in the organization.

I also thought that a crew could wear the green uniform or opt for any outfit that they wanted too be their uniform.

This being so could they wear the tan shirt?

If they can, is it not possible that as members of the Order, that they wear any and all the insignia of the Order and the Lodge?

Oh No!!

Another sleepless night.

Eamonn

Trail Pounder,

Why would it be wrong to wear a lodge flap on a venturing uniform? That comment is downright silly. Does that mean he should not wear his eagle badge? Or a female venturer should not wear her Gold award on her shirt? Just because you cannot earn something doesn't mean I have to change to suit you.

And even if a crew votes a specific uniform, venturers have the option of wearing the Kelly Green shirt at formal occasions. They cannot however tell another crew member what patches to wear or not wear if it authorized and he or she wants to wear it

Sir, I stand by my silly comments. If the Crew bylaws want to exclude OA Lodge Flaps, then they are excluded. Uniform means Uniform. What kind of uniform is it that half the Crew have a Lodge Flap and then the other half (who can't ever earn one) don't? It's certainly not "uniform". My comments meet my sense of fairness, if it doesn't yours, than have your Crew bylaws reflect it. Beautiful system, ain't it?

Pounder, Again Here Here (and that means approval for those uncertain)

We advertise the Venturing Program as Co-Ed, we have the crews elect their own officiers (male or female) who then run the program with as little adult intervention/interference as possible. All the Venturing awards are open to all members, Bronze, Gold, Silver, Ranger, Quartermaster , etc.

BUT, we tell the girls they cant become youth members of the OA, because thats a Boy thing only (instantly a picture of the Little Rascals "He-Man Woman Hater's Club" flashes to mind , or was that the Our Gang, oh well, its was one, I forget and digress) and by the way, the Venture boys can earn Eagle in the program and earn merit badges but not the girls. So, we kinda have an ironic twist on the old Animal Farm saw "all animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

I think either the program serves all the members or none, not just some based on activity in a completely different program. Then again, I respect those people and their opinions which oppose mine

OGE & Trailpounder

Venturing crews cannot tell members they cannot wear a lodge flap. The kelly green shirt is an option to crew members regardless and national sets the standard for what can be worn on it. Just like no leader can add to it no one can take away things a scout has earned. What do we do tell the 2 Eagle scouts out of 8 males in a crew and 2 gold award receipiants out of 4 that they cannot wear the honors that they earned? Now talk about being silly!

As to the females not being allowed to be elected as a youth, no crew member is allowed to be elected as a youth, NONE, that goes for males also. In order to be elected you must be a member of a Boy Scout troop, not a Cub Pack or a Venturing Crew. Why is it that people believe that everything must be open to everyone. Not every member of a Boy Scout troop is eligable to be elected , those that are not just have to learn to live with it or do the things necessary to become eligable.

OGE, your assumption of my position is right on the button. I'll leave it up to the Crew to decide what their uniform will be and that would include the Spruce Green shirt. This is a dead horse as far as I'm concerned. P(This message has been edited by Trail Pounder)(This message has been edited by Trail Pounder)