Fuzzy, we're close. Brotherhood in 1964 (not sure about the year, could be '65) in Catawba Lodge. A few interruptions (college, kids) and back in business now. I was active on the dance team for years and still have my old Catawba Lodge Dance Team jacket. Unfortunately, various invertebrates have dined on most of the other costume items. H'mm come to think of it, maybe that IS fortunate. But I have photos. My children occasionally get enough courage to look at them with horrified fascination.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS,

I have a few trophies and my beaded moccasins. I gave my costume to a fellow dancer when I left for college in hopes that he would carry the torch. I asked about him and the costume later and found that he had danced for a while and passed the torch on. I guess the costume suffered the same fate. Our advisors had taken 8mm reels of our attempts. I failed to retrieve any of the evidence. The pictures must be around in a closet somewhere. I remember us being pretty good but probably the pictures show that memories are better sources of judgment.

FB

• 4 weeks later...

I was tapped out this year at Summer Camp and went through my Ordeal last month. IIRC, I was one of two adults tapped out this year.

I plan to earn my Brotherhood as soon as allowed. Should get it done before next summer camp.

Lodge is Chicksa 202.

• 2 months later...

OK, Jerk Up and Tapped Out and I mean TAPPED out at Fall Camporee in 1981. Chickasah Lodge Ordeal in November of 1981. Brotherhood in November of 82. Shortly after Ordeal I started dancing on the Lodge dance team. Danced my First dance a Blue and Gold. Fell in Love. went to a National Indian Seminar in 83. Won a Section in 83 & 84. Elected Lodge Sec in 1984. Went to NOAC in 1986 place in the top 10 in Old Style. Was a wonderful experiance. I help the Order off and on for a few years after I got married in 88 but grew inactive because of family and other obligations.

But then my 7 year old son came home and said Dad I want to join Cub Scouts and I went to the Bathroom and shut the door and cried. Then I told him he could and I would get active with the pack. Now I am a asst. Den Leader.

Then Came Scout Base a few weeks ago. The OA had a Pow Wow at the Scout Base and I had to dance again but not having a Outfit with me I only danced 3 dances in my street cloths. I promptly went to the OA booth and paid my dues and said I wanted to get active with the dance team and help get the team back going again.

The Lodge merged with another and now Ahoalan Nachpikin #558.

I can't wait to get back on the dance floor in my outfit for the first time. I may have to go from Taditional to Straight because of my age and knees. So now you know my life history.

Jamie

Eagle Scout

Class or 1983

• 4 weeks later...

As a youth, inducted in Wenasa Quenhotan #23 ordeal in 1985 and brotherhood in 1986.

Now Some ten yrs. after college, I'm just getting involved again in Scouting. I'm now in MN and have joined the Tonkawampus lodge #16.

Unlike many others, I'm involved again not because I have boys now joining scouts, but because I have girls (now ages 1 and 3) and it's good to get out a little bit! My wife has been very supportive.

Has everyone also seen/joined arrow-L mailing list? See http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/arrow-l.html.

Mike

ASM Troop 369

Wojauwe,

I'm intrigued by your login name. Translated as "chief" (seemingly synonymous with the older word "sakima"), "wojauwe" is the official Lenne Lenapi title for chapter chiefs. When I first saw your name, I assumed that you were a chapter chief. You mentioned in the thread, however, that your entire OA experience has been as an adult. Is "Wojauwe" part of your Vigil Honor name? I've only heard the word "sakima" used for this purpose, never "wojauwe."

Adrianvs

Yea,It's part of my Vigil name Quilawelensitchewagan Wojauwe

loosly translated as distressed Leader.This was the result of

The first chapter chief I was advisor for and the second(my son)conspireing to find the longest name that would fit on name tag.Was a name I was not real pleased with it at first,but after they explained ,I was much better with it.sometimes it's hard to find translations that fit what you're trying to say.They were also constrained by their overwhelming desire to tag me with something that's pronounciation would insure that I be distressed.

The fact that they felt comfortable enough with me to be playfull,I found to be a compliment in itself.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...