camping and the OA

How many leaders know about the camping requirement for the OA??? Yes I know I am preaching to the chorus. The answer is 15 days/nights. The real question is does your troop provide enough nights a year or a year and 1/2 so the scouts meet the requirements?? If not why???

Yes, I know that the troop is boy run but do the boys care?/

Ah yes, the paradox of the Boy Lead Troop. If its truly out and out Boy Lead, how many will plan the 20 mile hike, or set up the trip to Philmont, or Sea Base. I guess thats where adult training comes in and use of the Directing, Supporting, Coaching and Delegating strategies comes in.

So that there is no confusion lets remind everyone that it is 15 days and nights of camping during the two year period prior to the election includihg a six day resident camp.

So a troop that has a total of 5 two night weekend campouts in two years along with a summer camp stay would provide enough opportunity for a scout to be eligible for OA.

The troop and patrol activities are lead by boys, the scouting program is delivered by adults. Boy lead does not mean adult abdicated. As OGE points out trained adults using the proper leadership styles control the direction of the activities even though the boys lead the activities.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob is correct.

The only exception I would add, would be for the obscure Scout who had a knowledge and desire to belong to the OA and did not belong to a troop who did much camping. Nothing says the camping has to be with his troop. He could attend camp opportunities with an other troop. But like I said, that is rare.

Some troops do not camp much. This doesn't mean they're not a troop. Being a troop is the result of meeting the chartering requirements of the BSA and the approval of the charter partner. Unlike McDonalds in the USA, no two troops are exactly alike. Just as no two Scouter Forum members are exactly alike.

Just something to think about.

DS

The "nights camping" requirement can be subjected to a great deal of interpretation. Our troop provides far more than enough opportunities for boys to accumulate the minimum requirement.