• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the only one in my Pack, too. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to be much more than a "send in my dues and wear the flap" member right now. Chapter meetings are the same time as Roundtable, and it's just about impossible for me to work a weekend Lodge event into my schedule right now.

I'm not 100% sure, but I may be the only registered adult in our Pack who was a Scout as a youth. (I know a couple of the fathers were, they asked about my Philmont Arrowhead when I wore it to our Blue and Gold.) Our neighborhood skews a little older, so most of my parents (just like me) would have been Scout age in the 70s/early 80s, when national membership was at its lowest.

I do see a few folks with blue tabs and lodge flaps at Roundtables and training sessions. I think some of them are also affiliated with Troops, and were inducted as adults. I have seen one guy wearing our lodge flap from 20-25 years ago, so he must have been an Arrowman as a youth.

We've got a couple Arrowmen in the Pack, myself included. All but one were in OA as youth, and he was just inducted largely in his dual role as an ASM with the troop. Like BornInThe60s, I'm not active. When I joined the local chapter, I made a point to tell them, "I'll see you in a couple years."

Question: the number of adult OA members from a particular unit is based on the total number of registered adults. I understand that the registered adults from our Pack counts toward the totals of our brother troop. How does that work? How do we go about nominating a Pack leader for membership? We've got a heck of a lot more registered adults in the Pack than they do in the Troop.

The number of adults registered to the Troop has no bearing on the number of adults who can take the ordeal. "Each year, upon holding a troop election for youth candidates which results in at least one youth candidate being elected, the unit committee may recomend only one registered adult, 21 years of age or older, to the lodge adult selection committee. The camping requirements set forth for youth members must be fulfilled by this adult." Most adults nominated are registered to the Troop. I'm not sure if the Troop committee can nominate an adult from the Pack, unless they are dual registered. I have never seen this in the years I have been on the unit elecdtions committee. An at-large adult can be nominated by the district or Council.

Thanks for the cite, EagleWB. So based on your understanding, are Cub leaders eligible? It's largely an academic question as I doubt many Cub leaders are looking for added responsibilities away from their own unit/boys. Other than the guy with the dual registration who just joined, I don't know of anyone else in my unit who would have an interest.

My info came from a very good source, so maybe that's just local custom. My understanding is there is a national ratio of adults to youth candidates, so maybe out lodge is applying a similar ratio to the units to keep things fair. I also understand that the lodge selection committee is fairly utilitarian, making their nominations on the adult's special skills, training, and/or abilities which the lodge needs.

I've got some new PC news, nobody is "tapped out" anymore. It violates youth protection!

Cub Scouting has waffled on being pro-camping (currently) to being camping is for Boy Scouts not Cub Scouts (a few years ago) so with the camping requirements for OA, not to many Cub Scouters were eligible and since one of the primary functions of OA is to promote camping IN THE UNIT and the troop committee (not the pack committee) submits candidates for OA, it is highly unlikely that a Cub Scouter, not officially affiliated with a troop, would be the best individual to promote camping in the troop. Some forget that OA has a purpose above honoring individuals.

Overtrained you are right about the Troops with over 50 boys. All of the Troops I have been doing are under 50 and I tend to forget that rule.

Acco40 you are right about the tap out ceremony. Now we have a Call out ceremony right after the election. I also believe you to be right on in your thinking on why a Troop Committee wouldn't nominate someone from just a Pack.

I may or may not be right (on many issues) but I hope you didn't mean to downgrade Cub Scouts with the phase "just a Pack." Cub Scouts is a different program, but no more or no less important than Boy Scouts.

A Cub Scouter interested and eligible for OA membership would be rare, but not impossible. Help me out on the current OA requirements -- 15 nights camping, including one long-term camp, right? Counting back, over the past two years I've camped with the Cubs 17 nights total, including a long-term Webelos resident camp. So it is possible. I can envision nominating our Pack's Outing Chairman who is involved in running both our Pack campouts and district-level Cub Scout events.

I agree with who ever said that OA membership is not about individual recognition, but I would say that service is of equal importance to camping promotion. It is also primarily an organization for the BOYS, not adults. Consequently, I think our local nominating committee is right to consider adult memberships in light of what skills the adult can bring to the organization.

Twocub, you failed to mention the first adult requirement, which is the adult must be a registered member of the Troop or Team holding the election. A Cub Scout Leader is not eligible for the OA.

You must be a registered member of a Boy Scout troop or Varsity Team.

Bob White

Acco40, sorry I tend to shorten things. I meant as opposed to a dual registration.

Bob I can't find where it says the adult has to be registered to the Troop, but I don't have an adult application here. I checked through my unit election material and all I can find is the adult must be registered.