Hows does your OA Chapter/Lodge Raise money?

I am having a bit of a problem trying to get our Assistant Scout Executive to allow the OA to raise money for various projects...NOAC, FOS, Capital Campaign, etc. He just wants the OA to be quiet and stay in the background. I am a professional Scouter and the Lodge Staff Adviser. How do you all raise money for the OA?

Our Lodge issues a variety of Lodge flaps every year, and makes a good profit for the budget. Our Lodge also has a budget from Council.

As far as our specific Chapter, we also issue Chapter patches every couple of years, and sell them to the new members at the three annual Ordeals. Our Chapter also has the only "trading post" (drinks and snacks)at our District's two annual Camporees.

Has worked for us for years.

Anderson

Aeggman,

We don't raise money for FOS or Capital Campaign. What we do raise money for, on the lodge level, is Camperships, Camperships, Camperships. We do this through dues and the sale of patches - lodge flaps, jacket patches, and specialty patches. We go to NOAC - there's a special patch. We go to Jamboree - there's a special patch. Been an Eangomat? - there's a special patch.

We also have a great Trading Post that goes to all Lodge and Section events - the money goes to Camperships.

My chapter spends its money on outfits - ceremonial and dance. We collect dues [50 cents a month] and produced a large jacket patch. When all of those are gone, we'll probably produce another.

I really like sst3rd's idea of having a chapter Trading Post at the camporees.

YiS,

llwyn

Our Council does not have Camperships, but have Workerships, where the Scout can do community service in exchange for financial help.

The OA in every Council must give an FOS donation of $1000 (suggested amount) to the local Council FOS in order to receive Quality Lodge status. I take it your Lodge does not achieve Quality status...?

We actually give in excess of $1000 as the Council support staff (secretaries) input all OA data, keeps registration data for all fellowships and conclaves, and handles all paperwork. This is, in my opinion, a BIG faux-pas, as that is why we have secretaries and treasurers in the Lodge. The OA does not have any control, nor do they have any information, as the membership data is not made available, except to the Lodge Adviser and myself, for Youth Protection issues. I think there should be a way we can work around that, by possibly eliminating addresses from information that is disseminated to Chapter officers, and Committee Chairs and Advisers.

I like the Trading Post at District functions idea...we did that in my former Council, but things are different here.

We, in essence have (2) staff advisers, myself and the ASE. Seems a waste of time for myself if he is between myself and the SE, but that is the edict.

Aeggman,

We do achieve Quality Lodge status. If what you say is true regarding the amount of $1000 to FOS, then we must have given that money to FOS. I thought you were asking how we raise money. There are many things in the boys' budget that we don't "raise money" for but must be paid. We sent $500 to the families of police and firemen in NYC - that money came out of the Lodge and only after the fact did the boys design and sell a patch to raise money for the gift.

YiS,

llwyn