Flag Ceremony as a Fund Raiser

One of my theories is that Scout Troops, perhaps even Cub Packs could make some good money by offering their services doing flag ceremonies for a fee, or perhaps just for donations.

Suppose a troop worked up a snappy flag ceremony, with everyone in a nice uniform and a Troop Bugler sounding "To the Colors."

Send letters out to corporations, businesses and other groups offering that service for a fee or for donations.

I'm guessing that a corporation that had a Boy Scout Troop do a flag ceremony for their annual meeting might have a CEO willing to make a generous donations for a snappy ceremony.

I'm with Trevorum - I think it just sends the wrong message about Boy Scouts to the general public. I don't think I'd want to try to defend the practice once the "did you hear that the BSA is charging people to hold flag ceremonies for them" whispering campaign gets going. I sure wouldn't want to be in the Troop that caused that whispering campaign and had to face fellow Scouters from other units that might start getting calls wondering if they'll still be participating in Memorial Day or Veteran's Day ceremonies without charging.

Plus there is the logistics - most corporate annual meetings take place during the work-day, and usually early enough in the year that school is in session - do you think parents will take kindly to the idea of taking their kids out of school for part of the day to particiapte in a fundraiser?

My opinion, we keep flag ceremonies on the same level as other volunteer service to our communities - it's just something we, as Boy Scouts, do, without expectations of any remuneration for the job.

It doesn't pass the sniff test, for me. Does everything really have to come with a price tag? What's next, charging little old ladies for helping them across the street? $5 for every good turn done daily? Granny stays in the middle of the street til she pays up?

The test of something like this is to see if it has been done before. Will people PAY to see someone do flag stuff? Specifically USA flag stuff?

http://www.usarmyband.com/events/twilight_tattoo.html Oh, wait. That's free admission.

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/parknews/us-navy-to-perform-at-twilight-tattoo-ceremony.htm Nope, free to the public....

I think the offer of a proper flag ceremony is good. Witnesses to the things Scouting should be about. ASKING for a "donation"....ummmmm, no. Accepting one if offered, maybe.

Reminding folks what the US flag represents, appropriate.

Ancillary topic:

Once, in a discussion of the financial condition of our Meeting, the discussion swung between the number of families donating, the various amounts (no names were mentioned), the idea that it seemed to be always the same families and how to encourage others.

We were reminded that folks give as the Spirit moved them, and possibly as an indcation of the importance of Meeting to them.

It was then suggested that , as an indication of how important Meeting was to folks, perhaps we should charge admission.

This suggestion was not adopted.

That leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Scouts do flag ceremonies as community service.

If you want a flag related fundraiser,

sell subscriptions in your neighborhood to businesses or homes to have scouts go out and put up a flag for them at 8 holidays a year. We do that and make almost $10k a year.

"If some clown tried to do an FOS presentation at my ECOH, I wouldn't be Eagle Scout after physically kicking the idiot to the curb. "

Sure you would. You have already passed your board of review by the time your COH is held.

Rank once given is never revoked, right?... ;)

What I *have* heard of some units doing, is providing a "flag service" (sort of like a lawn service) for homes & businesses. X times a year on holidays such as Memorial Day, flag day, etc. the unit comes to the subscriber's homes and erects a temporary flag pole, complete w/ U.S. flag. Next day (week?) they come and take it down.

See: http://www.colonialflag.com/U_S_Flag_Fundraiser_Kit_s/42.htm

I personally don't see a problem with the scouts getting paid to erect flags around town at people's houses for 8 holidays a year.

It started as the scouts posting flags around town at the city offices on holidays. And people wanted flags at their houses too for the holidays. We have a lot of retired folk who may have the $ but not be able to physically handle having a flag on a 12 ft pole out in their yard for all the holidays. So it started out as the boys getting paid a minimal amount to help out putting up flags that the customers bought and paid for.

Over time it became a big deal over 200 paid subscriptions for people who want flags at their personal residences or businesses--they pay $50 a year and they don't have to worry about it. If the flag gets yucky, the troop replaces it and retires the old one. If they are sick, the flag still goes up for their holiday, if they are out doing errands or at a party, the flag comes down before dark.

We still put up flags at the city offices, but the city pays for extra flags they want around town to make the city look extra special for the holidays. It seems to work out for all parties.

We do a lot of free flag ceremonies for businesses, govt, sports games, parade starts, funerals, anyone who asks.

The two things do seem very different in my mind. one is a service, where anyone should get paid to provide, and one is community service, that is done out of the goodness of your heart and goodwill.