"Speak up" or "Shut Your Mouth"

Let us say I have a "friend" who belongs to a Pack or Troop that does run raffles or 50/50s from time to time. As a new member to the pack/troop, should my "friend" speak up and let the Committee know that it is against BSA Policy or just continue wishing he was ignorant of the rules?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts?

You know...for my friend. ;-)(This message has been edited by Phibbles)

We teach our NYLT kids ethics. It's basically this: do what you know is right. Sometimes that's easy, and other times it's very difficult, but it's the same punchline... Do what's right.

I would offer you the same advice.

BDPT00

Could you get your "friend" to talk to the Unit Commisoner, if one exists? Having the drawing is against BSA rules, now, how much intestinal fortitude does your friend have?

How do you see this going if your "friend" is sucessful in changing unit tradition, what is the downside, what do you, err, you "friend" hope to accomplish? Are you willing to jump in and spend as much time as any other volunteer if you upset, I mean your friend, is he/she willing to do what it takes to make the Troop 100% BSA compliant?

I think my friend intends to say something to the Comm. or just to the CC soon. Otherwise he wouldn't have spent so much time researching the issue to confirm his suspicions were correct. I guess we will just have to wait and see the reaction from the group. Hopefully they will embrace his enthusiasm for scouting and welcome some changes to the status quo.

It can be awkward and difficult for a new leader to make changes to a pack/troop that is filled with leaders that are content with the way things work.

Try this ... If some Scouts had a situation somewhat like this one, and they asked you what to do ... how would you consel them?

Whatever your answer is, that's what you should do.

That being said, if your charter partner chooses to conduct a raffle, and donate the proceeds to your unit, that's a different story.

BDPT00

But if the raffle was at a scout meeting or event, it would still be against the rules...right?

My understanding is if the CO is going to raise funds in a manner that conflicts with policy, it has to be done separate from scouts events. Right?

Your "Friend" does need to make sure that he doesn't come off sounding like a know it all, who is out to make waves.

If this has been going on for a very long time? He could make a lot of enemies.

One thing he might run into is that someone will say "They do it!" They being the Council. I know in the Council I serve this would be true. I've attended a lot of Council fund raising dinners and golf outings where raffles for big prizes have been held and 50/50 drawings are the norm.

I'm not sure this is a fight that I'd want to get involved in. - But that's just me.

Ea.

Phibbles,

Greetings!

If I may offer my advice to your "friend".

Some Scouters will continue to do things their own way. From signing off advancement, to unauthorized swim calls, to riding in the back of trucks with no seatbelts, etc etc. They are happy violating many BSA rules and Guide to Safe Scouting, as long as they strictly abide by Youth Protection.

A fellow Scouter can tell a few Scouters the correct procedures; some will correct their behavior, some will blacklist their fellow Scouter offering the advice.

Here is what I think you should do to "Speak Up". Your "friend" should take a copy of the Unit Money Earning Application to the next committee meeting. As the topic of 50/50 or raffle comes up. Ask "Did we file a Unit Money Earning Application". The answer should be a yes or no. If its a Yes; The council has just assumed responsibility for a game of chance. If the answer is a No; Then flip the application over to the notice the rules as though your friend just recently learned them "Selling raffle tickets or other games of chance is a direct violation of the BSA Rules and Regulations,

which forbid gambling. The product must not detract from the ideals and principles of the BSA.".

All your friend can really do, is to offer advice to the committee. Either the committee will abide by BSA guidance or continue to violate the BSA guidance.

Good Luck!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

The real test of personal ethics is what you do when no one is looking.

The BSA and society have many different rules for many different reasons, we sign up to follow the rules to the best of our ability.

Are the few bucks raised worth it? To me and the folks I work for, work with, and know it wouldn't be.

Sadly the human mind can rationalize good and bad behaviors.

I send you well wishes to do the right thing.