My family, who are very active scouts, was asked to leave one troop under very difficult circumstances. We have joined a different troop in the area and continued on. That was two years ago. While in the old troop we had developed quite an extensive list of customers, selling thousands of dollars of greens. The new troop has started selling greens this year. We began calling our old customers, many of whom had already bought greens already (presumably from someone calling off our old customer list). I have no problem with this. However, the old troop found out that we were calling our old customers and insists that the list is their property and we need to hand over our list. The same one that my children spent many, many hours over many years developing.

My question is this-does anyone own the list? If so, who-the scout that developed the list or the troop?

Hmmm, our Troop has not had this issue (or I haven't anyways).

This "list" you are talking about. You say "we" and "our" in your description. So picking out if it was a "Troop sales list" or a "Scout personal list" is unclear.

Were you the "Greens Sales Organizer" for the previous Troop?

I guess the scale is unclear. I would not expect to keep a Scouts extended family and friends sales contacts as a Troop asset if that Scout moves on.

Sounds like they have a copy of the list already, and no one "owns" customers anyway. Although out of courtesy, I would not "poach" geographically sales that are closer to the old Troop, unless they call you since they are selling a similar product.

Personally, I would ignore it and move on.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

If you were asked to leave, there must be more to the story, but we don't need to get into that...just realize that it's hard to give advice when we only hear one side of a story.

Does anyone "own" the list? That's ludicrous. I wouldn't even respond to them. What are they going to do to you, report you? To whom? If your unit has a Council approved money earning application filed, then go for it. The choice of whom to buy "greens" from is the customer's...not the unit's. I'll take a large bowl...with vinegar, please.

Legally, there is no such thing as a customer list for Boy Scout troops. Like others have said, there is no "OWNER" of the customers you sold to previously.

I would do absoultly nothing, don't answer them, don't call them back, simply ignore them. If they call you again reply with " Hello, nice to hear your voice again, can't talk now, bye" then hang up.

Just remember, next year to start selling earlier.

as to dg98adams comment "I would not "poach" geographically sales that are closer to the old Troop"

There is no such thing as geographical sales area, no one owns the buyers of products.

Thank you for your responses.

Sorry about the confusion with the pronouns. The "we" was referring to my family. The old troop feels that the list is their property even though my family developed the list. Although the old troop has copies of my family's past lists and have obviously called some of the customer's on the list, the old troop is now asking for all of our past information.

The old troop's sales were complete for this year when my son began calling. We did this to avoid any issues and to not "poach" on the old troop's territory. Since the old troop's sales were done, we felt that we weren't infringing on anyone. It simply gave us an idea of who to call and who to not call in the future, but it has evolved into something ugly.

In response to evmori-Since my family developed the list making contacts over the years, how can the troop claim ownership?

I believe you are asking what is the correct ethical response?? If this list was developed as a troop activity, I feel the list belongs to the old troop. However, if this list is something your son developed on his own, without instruction or encouragement from the old troop, then the list is your son's property

Just curious, if "the list" was something that was developed by your family, for use by your son in his sales efforts, why is it that the old Troop has copies of it?

The posters are correct, you can not "own" a customer list. Although some companies do sell them, they usually sell the same list to numerous people/companies.

I agree with the "just ignore them" scenario. The only problem I can see is if the customers get fed up being solicited for every sale that comes down the pike, by numerous phone calls, from numerous Boy Scouts.

The old troop made a copy of all sales in case any scout lost their list. (At least that is the reason they gave us when we were in the troop). They have kept these all over the years so I am assuming that is how they got our list and began to use it. These lists were developed on our own. My eldest son was highly motivated to earn his way for his own activities and we have continued to use it with our youngest.

Thank you for all your responses. It really helps us with a proper response.

OK, this "list" is actually a number of years worth of holiday wreath order forms from your two son's previous wreath sales?

The Troop copied the order forms, and is now handing these old order forms out to their current Scouts to use for their sale?

And they are now claiming that they "own" the customers listed on these forms?

I make copies of all of the popcorn Take-Order sheets for our Pack for the same reason as your Troop gave, in case someone looses their sheet. It is difficult to deliver a product if you have no clue who purchased it. However - I would NEVER presume to keep those order sheets and give them to other Scouts to use years down the line. Once the sale is completely over, the sheets go in the recycle bin.

I think that Troop's leaders have been sniffing to much pine sap!

We sell popcorn, not greens, but my son's order form is full of family members, friends, neighbors, business acquaintances, etc... If we had to leave our pack I would be very upset if someone from the pack started calling people from our order forms or insisting on copies of it. If we had left scouting I would probably understand, but a lot of the time people are buying to support the scout selling rather than the whole pack. Especially in the case of Individual Scout Accounts. No one NEEDS a tin of popcorn or a wreath. They are often not buying to support the troop, but because little Johnny from down the street is selling it. The boy at the door is the face they see benefiting from the fundraiser. Not a group of boys they never met. If they wanted to support a group of unnamed boys in Scouting they could make a donation to FOS or to a specific pack or troop. I would ignore the old troops requests. Anyone you call who has already purchased from them say "Thanks for supporting Scouts, Would you mind if I called you next year in (insert Month) to see if you would like to purchase more greenery."

Your son's old customers can buy from whoever they want. No one "owns" them and no one owns the list of their names. Tell this to your old Troop.

If these old customers are loyal to your son, then they will continue to buy from him. This would be especially true if the list contains family members, friends and neighbors. If they are not then they will buy from the first scout that asks them - pure and simple.

I think it is ridiculous for a unit to assume that that a scouts regular customers should stay with the unit if the boy moves to another one.