What is typical for annual dues?

So it appears that there are 4 general ways money is collected from Scouts or Scout families to keep our programs running:

-- Registration or Recharter fees. This includes the registration fee ($10) and insurance ($1). Some Troops include Boys Life in this, some have it as a separate cost. Some Troop assess monies beyond the necessary $11 to cover Troop operating expenses.

-- Weekly or monthly dues. This appears to range from $0.50/meeting to $10.00 month.

-- Camping and activity fees. Either fund raisers cover this or Scouts are charged the actual cost.

-- Summer Camp fees. Actual cost or Fund raisers can cover part.

Once the funds are collected, either from the Scouts and families (above) or from fund raisers or other donation, how do Troop utilize those funds? How much do you spend annually?

This is on my mind, as we just completed our 2009 Troop budget. In addition to activity costs, our Troop buys and owns equipment such as tents, stoves, dinning fly, water containers, coolers, cooking equipment, and a trailer. We also buy Troop t-shirts, neckerchiefs, and hats. Scouts are given a t-shirt on joining the Troop, a hat after their first camping trip, and a Troop neckerchief on departure for summer camp. If they loose any of these, they are charged the actual cost of the item. The Troop also buys propane and miscellaneous camping supplies such as bug juice and paper towels.

Our 2009 activities and expected costs (not including summer camp) came to about 2K! Seems like a lot, but for a Troop of 40 Scouts, this comes out to $50/Scout -- most of which is covered by our fund raiser and dues. When I think about all the adventure and growth opportunity they get out of a year of Scouting, it is an incredible value!

How does this compare to other Troops?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Our 2009 activities and expected costs (not including summer camp) came to about 2K! Seems like a lot, but for a Troop of 40 Scouts, this comes out to $50/Scout ..."

$2,000 expense budget divided by 40 boys equal $50 per boy. Sounds like a good way to do it, the income side is determined by the expense side. The expenses are determined by the program plan.

There have been a lot of dues/fees number quoted. Specifically, how do you all determine the dollar amount needed?

"For our Troop that $8 goes into the general fund which buys patches and supports camping and activity fees. This can included propane, campsite fees, and other activity support."

That's impressive. Could you give us a break down of just how $8 is spread to cover all those items?

FScouter - Program defines everything. The core budget of our 2009 program comes from the activities the boys want to do - camping at county, state, and national parks - hiking, Klondike, Camporee. Then we look at what's needed to support that, such as tents, propane, etc. We hope our fund raiser will cover it all. The last several years have been very good, so we were able to buy more tents and a new trailer. This year was not so good, so we will need to either do another fund raiser, or change some of the more costly activities.

Bob White - Isn't it amazing what a thrifty Scout can do!

Here's how we are doing it this year

When they sign up at round up they pay $7.50 (Membership and BL for the res of the year.)

After that we sell popcorn and give the boys incentive. (And we did fairly good this year. Highest selling pack in the district. I do not know how many others sold though.

Sell half a sheet (13 Items) and we will pay registration

Here is the math Worst Case $9 Tins X 13 = $117

$117 Total (Profit = $37.44) registration and ins. = $11.00

$37.44-$11.00=$26.44 still going to the pack

Sell Full Sheet (25 Items) we pay registration and BL

Once again worst case

$9 Tins X 25 Items = $225 in total sales

$225 Total (profit = $72)

Money for registration, ins, and BL $23.00

$72 - $23 = $49 to the pack

We use this residual funding for awards, PWD and other stuff other needed stuff

Campouts are $5 per person for 3 meals and a Snacks and drinks. (yes including Smores) Uniformed registered leaders are exempt. 9Meaning if a leader comes campiong and they wear their uniform) If there are other fees at camping (EX Council Campsite) then that is usually taken care of by the family.

No weekly dues, or other annual dues. We try to keep things low cost. We are doing good so far. Only some minor costs.

We do not expect money from our CO. We have not really approached them about the Charter money. There was a question about the electric bill and the first thing they did was blame the Cub Scouts. But the IH with my backing stated that we had not even used the building that summer, which was right. Then they started complaining that there had to be something else. But that is a whole different story.

I hope these numbers help you out.

Twocubdad posted: "We charge $125 per year and do no fundraising. That covers all troop expenses like advancement, camping gear (we provide all patrol gear including tent and cooking gear), program materials, and camp fees charged to the troop. It does not cover individual cost like food for campouts or summer camp fees"

Our Troop is very similar to this except we do annual fundraising to allow the scouts to sell $380 worth of popcorn or pay dues of $125 or a combination of both. We pay for all the noted above in addition to uniform parts (Class B-s, epaulets, necherchiefs, hats) and transportation to / from our camping events. Scouts are responsible for their own trip / summer camp costs.

EagleSon's last Troop (06-07 registration year), the operating expenses were about $70 per youth per year:

- $10 to BSA registration fee

- $12 Boys Life

That left $58 to cover merit badges, cards, rank, new scout neckerchiefs, ad infinitum.

We ran pretty lean, but never had to have a special levy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the contrast, 12th grade (last year) HS band:

$75 instrument rental fee

$25 uniform rental fee

$10 all District Honor Bands competition fee

$10 District Music Festival competition fee

$50 all District Honor Band concert participation fee

$150 University sponsored honor band weekend

For those who qualified to go to All-State level:

$10 all State Honor Bands competition fee

$150 all State participation fee (lodging and meals)

$10 all State bus trip fee

That's only about $300-$450. That doesn't include lessons, summer camps, and such...

(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

SctDad

What is the annual program budget for the Pack for 2008?

Can they meet the budget if everyone sells a half page of popcorn?

Assuming that if everyone sold a half page you would not meet your budget needs, what incentive is there for a scout to sell a whole page if those who only sell a half will recieve the same program benefits?

BW

We charge $50 a year dues, $10 for membership the balance goes to fund troop overhead costs. Boys Life is extra. We have a local Utility that also donates about $800 a year and this also goes to troop overhead. Adult volunteers pay $10 annual registration fee. With 25 boys the $1800 a year comes close to covering annual overhead and leave some extra to cover equipment replacement or repair. We have re-equipped the troop since I took over 2 years ago as we had worn out junk at the time, this was mostly covered by donations by adult leaders and parents and some from fund raising.

Campouts are a pay as you go deal, the boys know they have $3 per scout per meal cost on trips to plan for, fees for campgrounds, Klondikes and Camporees are added as appropriate. Scouts can pay for their events from scout funds or have the family write a check.

We have had a terribel time getting the scouts to fund raise, since we can fund troop overhead independent of the scouts fund raising they get to keep 100% of the profits from fund raising to try and motivate tehm, so far it has not worked. This at least removes one more source of tension in the troop.....not meeting troop overhead expenses due to scouts not working much on fund raisers.

We do popcorn and sell wreaths but scouts participation has been falling for several years. We talked up fund raising and I and other adult leaders have talked one on one to scouts who's familys are tight on funds and encourage particiaption with very little change in behavior. We also do firewood and this year it is netting out to a scout is able to make $20 per hour worked on firewood but interest is limited. They can't get a job near that pay scale and it is still hard to get them to come out, when they do come out, they burn out early....it is a depressing situation for me.

I and the other adult leaders believe a scout should earn their own way but this is one of those loosing battles we are having second thoughts about. Many troops in our District and Council have told us they realized this battle a long time ago and quit with fundraisers, they do popcorn and let the families pay by check. We are having a committee meeting soon and this is one of the main topics. The firewood is a wonderful fundraiser as the boys get out together and work as a team, adults can get out and enjoy the fall days, however the wear and tear on vehichles, equipment and the large amounts of time away takes it's toll. Mine and many other wives HATE firewood as the husbands are gone a lot of weekend hours instead of doing house chores or having famiy time. Since we have overhead covered, I suspect we soon will forgo everything other than popcorn and part with the frustration of trying to get scouts to do fundraising.

"since we can fund troop overhead independent of the scouts fund raising they get to keep 100% of the profits from fund raising"

So in other words you are employers you are not fundraising. You are paying the scouts a wage for their work. People are paying you under the misrepresentation that the money supports the Scouting program are in fact paying personal wages. You are likely in violation of a number of employment laws. Not to memntion the lawsuits that could develop should a scout become injured "on the job".

You should be thankful that is not a popular activity and would be wise to cease it all together immediately.

Yah, BW, I suspect what highcountry means is that the lads get 100% of their fundraised dollars as a credit to their scout accounts, from which they can pay meal costs for outings, summer camp fees and da like. :)

B

So in other words you are employers you are not fundraising. You are paying the scouts a wage for their work. People are paying you under the misrepresentation that the money supports the Scouting program are in fact paying personal wages. You are likely in violation of a number of employment laws. Not to memntion the lawsuits that could develop should a scout become injured "on the job".

What misrepresentation? The money raised is supporting the Scouting program! It is helping the Scouts pay for what ever they need for Scouting! No one is getting paid anything! That is one heck of a leap to take without a net!

Yes Beavah and evmori, the scouts keep the money they fundraise in their scout accounts, for use to pay camping, activities and the like, they don't take cash or use it for purchase of any personal goods, you are correct in assuming that, I thought I was pretty clear but some people appear to busy themselves looking for any opportunity to rant and tell others how they are wrong. If scouts drop out they can transfer the money to another troop if they have moved, otherwise it goes into the troop general fund. I can see in Evmori's response there is a snippet of BW's post, I normally don't see anything he says as I found out a while ago he has nothing of value to add other than stirring the pot with negative BS so I blocked his posts some time ago. Looks like that was smart on my part.