How are popcorn sales this year?

I was at a district committee meeting last night, and the committee is quite pleased with this year's sales so far. Roughly speaking, same dollar value as last year (as of 9/30) but fewer items sold.

The discussion quickly degenerated into opinions about the impact of this year's price increases on overall sales ("you're not paying for popcorn, you're paying for Scouting!").

So what do all of you think? Are things better, worse, about the same? Seeing any difference due to price changes?

I'm kind of on the periphery...neither of my kids' units sells popcorn (troop has other fundraisers as needed, and the pack goes the annual dues route).

Guy

I think our Pack is probably about the same, although I wasn't as involved last year as I am this year (Popcorn Kernel).

Our Show-N-Sells have gone better than I would have expected. There are no numbers in from individual scouts yet.

I doubt that the price increases have had any effect. A majority of our sales are the $8 tin and I think it's imperative that that item stays below $10. A dollar or two on the other items is not likely to be noticed by our supporters.

We only had two show and sells this year and did extremely well. A lot of people just wanted to give us money, which was gladly accepted.

We did a neighborhood take and deliver blitz last Saturday with about 10 scouts and had great success.

My son is pretty excited this year cause he doesn't need to share sales with his brother who moved up to Boy Scouts. I think he's a bit over $600 right now and we haven't hit up church or most of our neighbors yet.

So, I'd have to say it won't be our best year, but I think it'll be good. It can't come close to being as bad as last year. Our (former)popcorn Kernel made a colossal order entry blunder which got us far, far more product than we needed. We worked it out but it messed up the bottom line.

I think ours are off as the lowest priced item we have is $10. (Council sets the prices) However, we have other fundraisers as well as a buy out option. With the $9 tin, we would frequently get $10 and be told to "keep the change." Now, there is no change.

I would like to see a smaller item, like a five pack of microwave popcorn for $5. Then it would be more competitive with GS cookies.

We have been doing OK. We have a few that are doing great, some that are doing OK. and then there are some that say "I can't sell this" which translates to I don't wanna do it so I am not gonna try. At least that is the way this parent presents to me.

But I think things are going OK. We are talking about how we are use the money. There is a summer encampment this year for cubs and we are thinking about that.

If we can get our Booth Sale time slots filled we would be doing more than fine. It is such a shame when you have to close down a Booth Sale that is going good after only one 2-hr shift.

I have had a few boys turn in some of their Take Order sheets. It looks like they are doing well (all over $100, one over $400) and they have not stopped selling yet!

We tried a show and sell booth at our small town fest. It was awful. I think we only sold 4 boxes of butter and 4 tins of carmel corn in 2 days. We did sell 4 popping corn buckets, but that was to ourselves. We popped it and sold bags for $.25. That part went over really well. I think in small towns most people know someone in scouts and want to purchase from them.

We have a couple fill it ups already, but not a good take on the entire pack.

We did a door to door blitz Saturday with 10 boys. We sold about $900 in five hours of selling. Another $100 at a car show the next day.

First time doing door to door for our troop. We delivered popcorn upon purchase. This seemed to work well, better than show and sells last year.

We have a goal of $375 in sales per boy. It looks like we will make it on an average.

The pack I am with is doing show N sell/deliver for the first time this year. So far, they have sold almost $700.

Now the troop, last year I ordered show n sell popcorn and it sat in my dining room because none of the boys would make the effort to set up a show n sell. (the adults said it was up to the boys.) This year, 2 of the boys have sold almost $500 during show n sells. The difference? Both of them have little brothers in the pack, and their parents told them to get with it!

ccjj