Donations and Sponsors

If you're a troop committee member, there's chapter 6 "Troop Finances" of the Troop Committee Guidebook. If you're a Scoutmaster or assistant, there's chapter 19 "Troop Finances" of the Scoutmaster Handbook. If your a Cub Scout leader there's a chapter in the Cub Scout Leader Book.

All of them point to the Unit Money Earning Application.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

InfoScouter was kind enough to type up the related information. Youth and adults at the unt level are not to solicite donations for individual or unit activities.

Them's the rules, eh!

Well then that means no fundraising at all! Any kind! No popcorn! No car washes! No hoagie sales! Those would all be soliciting donations for unit activities!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

There is no reason for a unit to not be able to plan a program and budget expenses without soliciting donations.

Yah, tell that to all da ScoutReach units out there, eh? ;)

Infoscouter quoted a form. The form is a tool. The form is not "the program." The form is not "the rules". The Rules are da Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America as applied and interpreted by its designated representatives, within the norms and limits of public law and ethical practice.

So nuthin' has to do with my memory, eh? It has to do with what the real rules are, and who da real representatives of the BSA are, and what the real law and ethics of a situation are.

I can only imagine that if you were really an authorized representative of da BSA, you would revoke the charter or membership of folks who did the things I suggested: raise money for the family of a fellow cub scout with cancer, solicit donations for care packages for our troops overseas, asking for the loan or donation of a special wheelchair so a handicapped scout could participate, setting up discounts for scout programs with local merchants and the like.

Probably why you're not an official BSA spokesman, eh? Because all of da things I mentioned were officially authorized by the BSA.

Beavah

What I would do if it were within my responsibility would be to teach them the rules, It would be the SE's authority to decide if memberships or charters get revoked.

"raise money for the family of a fellow cub scout with cancer,"

To do so in uniform or using the scouting name or emblems would be improper and in violation of BSA regulations, unless a product or service was sold with advance permision from the council.

"solicit donations for care packages for our troops overseas"

Without pre-approval from the Council office it would be in violation of BSA regulations.

"asking for the loan or donation of a special wheelchair so a handicapped scout could participate"

To do so in uniform or using the scouting name or emblems would be improper and in violation of BSA regulations.

"setting up discounts for scout programs with local merchants and the like."

Without pre-approval from the Council office it would be in violation of BSA regulations.

Beavah, you really do not know the BSA policies regarding this issue.

I'm not sure I could be more clear about all of da things I mentioned being officially authorized by the BSA, eh? :)

IIRC, one of 'em was featured in one of the magazines at one point.

All of 'em do contradict the unit fundraisin' form, however. At least if yeh don't know how to read and interpret it, eh? Which is why if you're not a BSA spokesman, it's best to refrain from makin' declarative statements I reckon.

You're makin' the mistake of applyin' your own experience in marketing for commercial entities with da application by the BSA of its own policies.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

If I'm not mistaken, all those thing could be done in uniform if approval from the Council Executive Committee was obtained first.

And I would think the excellent PR that would raise money for the family of a fellow cub scout with cancer or solicit donations for care packages for our troops overseas or asking for the loan or donation of a special wheelchair so a handicapped scout could participate would be a driving factor in the Council Executive Committee approving such requests.

Just one man's opinion!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

It is extrordinary the way you twist things Beavah, The fact that you saw these events published does not mean that they did not have permission from the council first as I posted they would need.

Did the articles say that the units did these things without permission?

All the article tells you is what thet did. I would wager none talk about if any permissions were sought or not. So the article alone does not address BSA policiy in any way. Nor do they estab;ish BSA policies.

AFter reading over some stuff, all I can say is that there is a serious disconnect between BSA policy and the real world.

Popcorn could never be said to be selling itself on its own merits.

Yes, there's a huge disconnect between Scouting and the real world. That's why I'm involved in it.

There's something disgusting about standing in front of the Piggly Wiggly with a tin cup. I want our boys to learn how to make their own way in the world. Begging for handouts just doesn't seem to do it. Letting troop adults do the begging is no better.

Is there ANYBODY who does not realize that when you purchase Boy Scout popcorn, or Girl Scout cookies, or pizzas from the local high school band, etc, that you are paying more than the regular retail so that the orgaization makes a profit as well.

Here is the beauty of it. Nobody has to buy it if they don't want to. The unit has p[ermission to sell it, and the consumer has the choice to by it. Millions of home nationwide seem to have no problem choosing to support the local council and scout units through popcorn sales.

It is extrordinary the way you twist things Beavah, The fact that you saw these events published does not mean that they did not have permission from the council first as I posted they would need.

Yah, in the words of Ronald Reagan, "There you go again!"

Accusin' others of twisting things, even as yeh ignore the printed text. What I said was that despite the guidance text on the back of the Unit Money-Earning Application, all of these things were officially authorized by the BSA, whether at the council or regional level. I can't be much clearer for yeh.

Of course, applyin' simple common sense would suggest that even Greg Shields on his worst day would not tell a unit it couldn't obtain a special wheelchair to help a handicapped scout participate, eh? ;) The medical equipment provider was happy to be asked, the boy benefited from bein' served, and the BSA earned nothing but goodwill and public accolades. The medical equipment provider also went on in future years to make substantive donations to FOS, just because of the goodwill generated by that initial relationship to a unit. :) That's why we should avoid gummin' things up, and leave speakin' for the BSA's rules in the hands of those authorized to speak for the BSA.

Personally, I don't feel there's anything wrong with selling overpriced popcorn, soliciting camperships, funding ScoutReach and other units with donations, havin' the church mens' group give to the church's troop or any of that, eh? As BobWhite mentions, the key is that the purchasers/donors are fully aware of what their money or property is goin' for, so there is no fraud, misrepresentation, or trademark dilution. A purchaser or donor should not be led to think they are givin' to Scouting if they're really giving to a lad's family for medical expenses or to our men and women in uniform overseas. As long as that's fully honest, there just isn't a problem. The law, the ethics, the Scout Oath and good PR all align quite nicely. ;)

It's only when yeh get the occasional volunteer who gets a bit too energized by "A Scout Pays his own Way" or some other program material like the back of a form that we generate confusion. I have always wished they'd come up with somethin' more distinct and of better value than popcorn, though. :p

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

What does Greg Shields have to do with this? or the Regional office?

Fundraising is approved or refused at the local Council level. Just more more clutter to distract the conversation eh!

The point remains that the units are restricted as to what they are allowed to do in the area of fundraising and especilly in soliciting donations. Magazine articles about what one unit has done in one council does not give a unit permission to do it as well.

Hey, there's an idea! Put the crippled kid in front of the Piggly Wiggly with the tin cup, for to get him a wheel chair. When he gets to be an adult he'll have a lot of experience in how to get on in life.

Now that is one tasteless comment! It should be removed!

Another avenue to consider is to approach a business and talk with the business manager, or the CEO or whoever gets to spend the money. Suggest to them the possiblities of employee rewards using popcorn they buy from your troop/pack/team/ and apply them to safety award programs, employee holiday bonuses (Like the large popcorn tin), performance incentives, ect. Depending on the size of the business, you could fund your entire summer event, or buy new equipment just on one sale.

THink about it!

Everrett