parking cars for a fundraiser...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, FScouter's got the right of it, eh?

Before folks start yammerin' at each other about rule followin', it's important to read the rule and then to understand the rule and what it's tryin' to accomplish.

The BSA cares about protecting the uniform and is concerned about not giving an "implied endorsement" of some third-party commercial enterprise like a candy manufacturer or political candidate. So don't do that, eh? Don't create a situation where you are endorsing a commercial product or service by wearin' a uniform and speaking (seemingly) on the BSA's behalf.

But there's nothin' wrong with wearin' the uniform during a scouting activity, including a fundraiser like parking cars. We want people to see scouts in uniform out in the community, workin' hard and supporting themselves, eh?

Beavah

Hello cad-guy, no offence intended. You wrote, "I take offese to you assuming that we are "scalping" for as high a price as we can. We see an opportunity to raise money (maybe 2 bucks a parking spot, we are surely not getting rich) and have an informational table set up to show folks some of our scouting activities."

Heck, you need to think about ramping up the operation! We sometimes get $20-40 a pop, depending on how sold-out the event is and whether they're arriving late. It's called the marketplace and if they don't want to pay the price for the product, they're free to walk a few hundred yards from the remote parking. The boys get a great lesson in business sense and entrepreneurship (the American economic system, Love it or Leave it) and besides, the pigeons..(oops, I mean, "customers") have plenty of coins to pay the price. Heck, even those little girl beggars sometimes collect a couple of hundred bucks each if it's cold and rainy.

Of course, it's also possible that you're just not accustomed to my sense of humor. ;) Like I said, no offence intended.

I'm thinking scalping low numbers at the DMV might be a good fundraiser. Have a scout show up, take like 100 tickets, and sell them to the harried, starbucks fueled yuppies trying to register their new H2 Hummer. Can they wear their uniform?

I did find the quote I was thinking of;

Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it's the only thing.

Albert Schweitzer

As for wearing the uniform during fund raising. If the unit is owned by the CO all assets of the unit are property of the CO then any funds being raised by the unit for it's own use are in actuality being raised for the CO which under item 7 of the money earning application is considered a third party. I went through all this with the professionals in my council on several occasions. As ScoutNut has said the kids are not dumb. Just because no one will bust you for it does not make it proper. Using the uniform to raise money where National, be it via the Council or the District, does not get a direct cut has always been restricted. At least in this neck of the woods.

LongHaul

" If the unit is owned by the CO all assets of the unit are property of the CO then any funds being raised by the unit for it's own use are in actuality being raised for the CO which under item 7 of the money earning application is considered a third party. "

I think that this is open to interpretation. If a unit folds, the unit's assets do not revert to the CO, if the CO has no plans to start a new unit in short order, the assets go to council.

" If the unit is owned by the CO all assets of the unit are property of the CO then any funds being raised by the unit for it's own use are in actuality being raised for the CO which under item 7 of the money earning application is considered a third party. "

I think that this is open to interpretation. If a unit folds, the unit's assets do not revert to the CO, if the CO has no plans to start a new unit in short order, the assets go to council.

We have done this for many, many years.

We usually wear our troop t-shirt. We also require that all adults and scouts wear those florescent orange safety vests so that they can be spotted and safe while parking cars. We also provide most with a batton (sp?) that is painted florescent orange.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me at wmckay06@hotmail.com and I can provide you with more information on how we do this fundraiser.

The Council's authority on determining whether or not the images and trademarks of scouting (including the uniform) can be used is not limited to product sales. It is related to ANYTHING a unit does to earn or solicite funds. This includes parking cars.

As an example Scouting is not to promote a political party of candiate. So if you are invited to park cars at a political rally, and you are being given money for your efforts, then you are required to file a Unit Money Earning Application. The Council will likely tell you that you cannot use the name, or images of the BSA scouting program in any manner related to the event, even though no "product" is being sold.

So the answer to the question as to whether or not you can wear the uniform was correctly answered by FScouter. It is the council's decision. If money is involved then you are required to file a Unit Money Earning Application and abide by the decision of the Council.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

"Using the uniform to raise money where National, be it via the Council or the District, does not get a direct cut has always been restricted."

That's an interesting view. The uniform restrictions I've read about always relate to connecting the product, service, or activity to BSA. Whether BSA gets any money is completely irrelevant.

Yah, LongHaul is from Chicago, eh?

That council is just full of "interesting interpretations." :p Da notion that the organization holdin' a charter is a "third party" is just another sad but amusin' example.

B

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Again FScouter is correct.

The issue has nothing to do with whether or not the council is getting a share of the money.

The issue is who has the rights to the use of the name and images of the Scouting Program. Neither the individual, the unit or the charter organization have the right or authority to use the name and images of the BSA to do ANYTHING unless granted to them by the legal representatives of the BSA. Such authority rests with the BSA national office and with the authority granted by them to the local council executive board and council scout executive as the legal representatives of the BSA and the local scouting corporation.

Being a member of the unit does not give you authority to use any of the BSA logos, uniform, names or images unless granted the use by the council or national office. The BSA has specific situations where you can use the scouting uniforms and emblems and specific situations where you cannot and for other times you need to seek permission.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Neither the individual, the unit or the charter organization have the right or authority to use the name and images of the BSA to do ANYTHING unless granted to them by the legal representatives of the BSA.

Nah, yeh gotta be careful about that sort of sweepin' statement, BW.

While trademark law has gotten a bit out of control, it hasn't yet gone that far. ;)

We have to remember that uniforms are a clothing item that has been purchased and is now owned by an individual. Like buying a North Face jacket or a pair of Levis pants, eh? The BSA may retain the right to the logo in general, but the owner of the piece of clothin' retains their property rights too, eh? :)

Beavah

Owning the uniform and having the rights to its use are not the same thing. As a member in good standing the BSA "allows" you to purchase the uniform, that does give you authoirty on how to use it.

Read the BSA insignia guide and attend basic training. The BSA holds the rights to the use of the uniforms, names and images of its program at all times.

Comparing it to a pair of jeans is a poor choice. It is closer to an NFL player's uniform. Being a member of the Team and of the NFL does not give them authority on the wear and use of it. How and when they can wear it is controlled by owners of the emblems not by the players.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

OK so I buy an Adult Leader shirt. It has "Boy Scouts of America" above the right pocket. I put nothing else on it. Am I to understand I need permission to wear this shirt I just purchased for around $40? I don't think so.