parking cars for a fundraiser...

...well, not really parking them, but directing them where to park. We have the opportunity to do this for an event that is happening in our town. The fundraiser will be for our troop only (not the district). My question is: is this a fundraiser in which we could wear uniforms, or should we stick with the class b tee shirts?

cg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a gray area. Something about selling stuff not endorsed by the BSA like the popcorn is. If you sell, say candy, you can't wear the uniform. However, in this situation, I doubt it will be an issue since they aren't selling anything.

Our unit has directed parking for an international golf tournament. They wore orange vests so you couldn't even see what uniform they had on.

We call it scalping real estate. Allow desperate people to park on CO property for sports/entertainment events...for as steep a fee as we can extort from them. We also dress the little sisters up in ragged clothes and stand them in the median as the traffic jam slowly passes by...holding out an empty coffee can or something, begging for donations to help a charitable cause. What does the council have to do with any of this if we're not masquerading as scouts?

I take offese to you assuming that we are "scalping" for as high a price as we can. We see an opportunity to raise money (maybe 2 bucks a parking spot, we are surely not getting rich) and have an informational table set up to show folks some of our scouting activities. This is something that the boys are excited about and I can assure you that we will not be begging. We live in a community that enjoys helping out any organization like boy scouts and girl scouts. Feel free to keep your nasty opinions to yourself! I do welcome any other helpful comments though.

Wear your uniforms proudly. I disagree with the policy that you can only wear uniforms when raising funds for the council and not your troop. When council supports our troop financially, then we will abide by that policy. When our kids are out selling Pancake Breakfast tickets or working at our Rummage Sale, they are proudly in their uniforms.

On my Honor means what ever I feel it means on any given day so I can wear my uniform no matter what I'm selling, scalping, pandering, or procuring.

The rule....rule? we don't need no stinkin' rules.....says you should not wear the official BSA dress uniform while raising funds that are not intended for BSA. Funds intended for local units are in fact being raised in the name of the Chartering Organization. But then why worry about rules. Trustworthy means what ever is in my best interest at the time.

I read a quote some place that said "Leading by example is not the best way to lead it is the only way to lead" Can't remember where....

LongHaul(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

"I disagree with the policy that you can only wear uniforms when raising funds for the council and not your troop."

That's not a policy. Though I could be wrong and will eat crow if someone points out the error.

Per BSA's Unit Money Earning Application -

On soliciting money -

"The BSA Rules and Regulations state, Youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money for their chartered organizations, for the local council, or in support of other organizations. Adult and youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money in support of personal or unit participation in local, national, or international events."

On wearing the BSA uniform -

"The official uniform is intended to be worn primarily for use in connection with Scouting activities. However, council executive boards may approve use of the uniform for any fund-raising activity."

I suppose, technically, the Scout Police will not come after you if you choose to ignore BSA rules and policies (of all sorts, not just fundraising). However, I question how these people can then hold their Scouts to a "higher stander" and expect them to live by the trustworthy, loyal, and obedient, portions of the Scout Law. Kids aren't as dumb and blind as we would like to believe they are. They know when rules are being shaved. Let's face it, most Middle & High Schoolers are masters at it themselves!

Our Chartered Partner had a PGA Champions Tour event go on at the course across the street. Parking was at at super-mega-premium. Our Chartered Partner asked its youth serving organizations for adults to run the parking lot. The funds were disbursed back to the organizations based on how many manhours each organization furnished.

The sign said "Proceeeds benefit VFW Post 123's youth serving activities."

Expanding on ScoutNuts post, item number 6 on the back side of the money-earning event application Q&A reads in its entirety:

If a commercial product is to be sold, will the fund-raising activity comply with BSA policy on wearing the uniform?

The official uniform is intended to be worn primarily for use in connection with Scouting activities. However, council executive boards may approve use of the uniform for any fund-raising activity."

Thus the uniform restriction relates only to product sales, unless the council has approved otherwise.