Does your C-0 provide $$ to operate? Or do you have to fundraise every dollar?

I'm curious how many Scout troops are funded or partially funded by their CO. I know of a few units which are chartered to churches where they are considered an Outreach Ministry of the Church. They are given $$ and transportation.

Our unit is Chartered by a civic organization that provides a meeting place only.

Thanks

Jeff

The troop that I am in is chartered to a church and we still have to fund every dollar.

The Crew that I am in is chartered to a VFW, which makes a donation of a few hundred dollars every year.

However, remember that there are many expenses for a meeting place. Their is the cost of the custodian that cleans up after your unit, the cost of the electricity that you use, any supplise that you use while using the bathroom, the cost of the water you use, the cost of gas/heat, etc. So next time remember that you could be forced to rent a meeting place to help cover these costs as well.

Our pack's CO provided a meeting place and that was it. Our troop's CO doesn't even do that but they do sometimes provide partial funding for recharter fees. Neither of them provided funding for day-to-day operations and in fact one frequent complaint of our troop's CO has been that we don't fund raise for them!

Our CO picks up the re-charter costs of both their units (Pack and Troop) each year. This includes National registration, Boy's Life, insurance, etc. Boys, & leaders, only have to pay their $10 registration fee once. After that, as long as they are registered with one of the CO's units, they do not have to pay for registration.

Our CO also pays for the cost of the religious emblems and helps with major purchases (PWD Track for Pack, tents for Troop).

A few years back they decided that the boys should not be the only ones to receive help. Since then they have paid the yearly registration fees for the Girl Scouts as well.

Our CO is the Holy Name Society of our local Catholic parish. Scouting is considered a parish activity. The Scout groups (Cub, Boy, Girl) have the use of the School/Parish Hall and the "Scout" Room for meetings and storage space.

For all of the day-to-day program expenses, we fundraise.

Our CO, a Methodist Church, provides a place to meet...a termite-eaten, rat infested office trailer in the back...and they asked us last winter not to turn on the heat because of the cost.

We fund everything ourselves.

Yah, in my experience this is highly dependent on organization.

The VFW, Catholics, LDS, and some individual protestant parishes are the most likely to provide some kind of direct support for the units, in part because they are more likely to do the charter relationship right and think of Scouting as "their own program."

Smaller town CO's are also a bit more likely to support units directly, I think. I've seen churches in small downs give the troop a whole house as their "permanent headquarters."

Really depends on the units keepin' up the charter relationship and mutual goodwill. When that's strong and runnin' right, there can be some really amazing synergy.

Beavah

As I recall, the BSA Charter Agreement obligates the Chartered Partner to provide an adequate and suitable place to meet.

For those like sctldr, who are given unsuitable facilities, I'd say it's time to have a talk with the CC, COR, UC and DE at the table.

We pay as we go. The Charter is an American Legion post but they are in no position to financially help us. We get a meeting hall that adequately meets our needs.

No Complaints.

In Follow Me Boys, Troop Hickory is given a multi-million dollar piece of land and building on a Lake. Sigh! I have Lem envy sometimes.

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

We are a community troop and we have the Scouts earn there way through fundraisers, for example. Any funds we do not raise the parents chip in to cover. Our CO provides us with no funds, not even for the charter renewal fee - however they help us in other ways.

Hope my wacky 2 cents is helpful...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

Our troop is sponsored by the VFW. We have a meeting place, a storage room, a storage shed that a couple leaders put a new roof on a few years ago, and allows our trailers to sit on the property.

I think we pay for the majority of the stuff we do. They help us out on occasion I believe.

We do flag ceremonies for Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, and maybe a couple other times a year. They like for us to be there at these types of things with them.