New from Long Island

Hi scouters,

I have been a scouter for about 4 years (including being an adult partner to my tiger.) I have a First-year Webelo and a First-class Scout who's ready to become Star. I have seen a lot of joy and my share of heartaches. Keeping it positive, I transferred to a really great den and pack and currently serve as its Pack Secretary. Last year, I joined my diocese's Catholic Committee on Scouting and serve as a religious emblem coordinator for the pack. Although I don't get involved with my oldest son's troop, I drive kids as much as possible on trips. I love scouting and hope to be involved as much as I can.

Yours in Scouting,

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

Welcome, I hope that you will stick around for a long time.

I have never been to Long Island, however we have as a Scout Exec, a man who was there before coming here. You all must be doing something right as he keeps saying "Back on the island we ..." Needless to say there are times when I want to send him back to the Island, still most of the time we manage to work together doing what is best for the important people- The youth in our programs.

Really Happy that you found the forum.

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn, it's super-important that we hang in there for the kids. I have had my shares of battles, mostly with controlling scouters who don't want to do anything new. Usually the den, pack or troop begin to die because the boys are bored and the scouters leave--I rather serve as humbly as possible and hang in there as much as I can.

YIS, Sylvia

Welcome Sylvia,

My husband is from LI, in fact all his family still lives there. We were just up there in June for family reunion/vacation. It's nice, but I sure was ready to get back to my little slice of heaven in TX. My sister-in-law can't fathom the slow way of life down here, where no towns are closer than 30 miles. And the way that everything shuts down by 6 pm. Except grocery store and Wal-Mart, they stay open until 9 pm.

Sorry to bore your ears off, again welcome.

Carol

Sylvia,

My in-laws live in West Babylon. It was an anniversary/reunion party. It was the first time in about 10 years that all of their children and grandchildren were all together. My father-in-law is still very involved up there with scouts as was his father.

Carol

Greetings encourager from yet another fellow "Lawn Guylander". Although, truth be told, I'm a former LI'er. I left home for college and the military 20+ years ago and haven't lived there since. Of course all my family is still there and we go back for a visit every couple of years. Anyway, welcome to the forum, there's always room around this campfire.

ManyIrons

Oh, and just for the record -- Suffolk County!!

• 5 months later...

Hi Sylvia!

I'm from L.I. also, Suffolk County! I just joined here today! By any chance are you from the Benjamin Talmadge District? If so, did you go to the Webelos Leader Outdoor training in October & the Council Pow Wow in November? If so, It's me, Judy, the one who couldn't start the fire with the "flint thingy" at the outdoor training! I really enjoyed that weekend!

Gopher Judy