Treasure Maps..?

Never heard of this one. A map to what? What would the value of this map be? Is this something they'd hang on the fridge (look what some cute little cub made...) or is this part of a geocaching kind of game (where the person is essentially buying an experience) or what? In other words, what does the purchaser receive for their money?

I realized I didn't include the website

www.treasuremapbroker.com

People apparently buy and sell treasure maps that take you on 2 to 3 hour adventures that have you solving riddles and doing challenges...at the end is a box hidden somewhere... you take something and leave something much like geocaching..

People are buying adventure.

I have looked at the site, and, while it does sound interesting, I can not see using it as a fundraiser.

I think it is more like letterboxing than geocaching because you do not need a gps. However, like both, what happens when you get to where the treasure is supposed to be and nothing is there? Sure getting there might be fun, but if you have paid $ you want SOMETHING at the end.

Many of the sites for letterboxing & geocaching that I have seen have not been kept up & have no stamps or items in them. Many of the sites no longer even exist. That is not a big problem if you are not paying anything. To pay a scout for a map to nowhere can end up being a VERY big problem.

I have been caching a ton of times and it was always dissappointing to not find the cache....

However the people that buy the treasure maps look like they get to have an adventure for 2 hours and that seems to be what you are paying for, not the prize at the end.

I think we might give it a shot.

OK I get it. Sort of like doing a road race? I guess a pack could put one together themselves (to ensure that there's a "there" there, at the end of the treasure map, complete with do-dads or whatever). I know of a troop who does a road race version of this as a fundraiser and although personally I'm not excited by that idea, or willing to spend money on gas to drive all over creation either, I hear it has been a successful event for them. Unfortunately it is also an event that scouts themselves have very limited participation in, since they can't drive. So - if I were to do something like that with cubs I'd make sure all of the map could be done on foot.

This sounds like a terrific activity for kids. I would have loved to decipher a treasure map back when I was a kid (come to think of it, that's probably why I enjoyed The DaVinci Code). Anyway, I can't see how this would translate into a fundraiser. Who would buy these? and for how much? It sounds fun, but I'm not sure it would be the best way to raise money for the unit.

Instead of selling Popcorn.. scouts can sell treasure maps. The site gives a list of various ways for the scouts to sell them. The neatest part is that once they create the maps, they get bought over and over again form the traffic that goes to the website.. it is reoccurring revenue source with out having to do the work over and over again.

Once a scout troop creates a portfolio of maps, they have a revenue source every month. I saw that there are Date night treasure maps as well that can besold to parents or couples around valentines day.

Aww, Cripes! You are so right Wingnut. I knew that it sounded familiar.

This guy is simply pushing his own product. He tryed back at the beginning of November. Must not have gotten the bites he hoped so now he is lying about it to try & drum up business.

Real nice! Well don't count on my business.

I think a home made compass hunt will teach compass skills, be cheaper, & be fun for my Scouts!

We have an historic town nearby and on the anniversary of its founding ("Oldetown Days") part of the celebration is a "treasure" scavenger hunt type thing. Your family starts at the old train station, where a guide hands you a clue and town map. The clue leads you to the next spot (an historic house or other site. There are more than one trail.), where another guide gives you the next clue, and on you go. The each trail is about 2 hours or so to traverse, you get to see the town, the kids learn a little history and everyone gets a nice walk.

This one is free.