What Are Other Types Of Fundraisers That Are Working For You?

Amongst my other Scouting duties, I am the Committee Chair for a Venture Crew.

The Crew is going to Philmont next year and we have promised them many fundraising opportunities (about half the kids are from low income type situations).

We are currently selling popcorn and will be bagging groceries next month.

I'm hitting a wall coming up with other good fundraisers.

What has worked for you in the past?

Thanks.

We run a Rummage Sale every spring which has been very successful. We solicit donations from our families and others, and price it to sell. Clothes (especially kids), tools, toys, books, records, sporting goods, kichen stuff, etc. It helps the troop and helps the families clear out all those attics, basements, etc. And the only outlay of funds is for a few classified ads in your local paper.

We sell mulch and luminaria kits, but the we are looking to dump to luminaria sale as it has turned into too much work for too little money. Our mulch sale, on the other hand, has increased in profit each year.

We buy bagged mulch (2 cu.ft.) from a manufacturer/retailer in the area by the truckload. We sell by mailing letters to prior customers and passing out flyers to gain new business. We deliver the mulch using trucks owned by parents and some that are rented. Free delivery is our main selling point. Lots of folks need mulch, but hate to move it in their cars.

This year will be our 14th year selling mulch. It takes A LOT of work to pull off this type of fundraiser, many other groups (troops and others) have tried mulch sales and quit after a year or two, but with the right planning it can be quite profitable. One hitch, of course, is that the area your troop resides in must contain mulch users. Our troop is based in the suburbs and it works, but where I live is more urban and a mulch sale would simply fall flat.

Sorry for my parochial expression, A Coke Wagon is a red trailer that is obtained from our local Coca-Cola distributor, it has a propane grill in it and two sides for dispensing soda and product. Since we are a non-profit, Coke gives us the use of the trailer and we pay for the supplies used and cups. If we can supply the cups, we dont have to pay for them

Pack has a booth at the local university football stadium - stadium management provides food, etc., we provide manpower. Nets $600-900 per football game 6-7 games a year(better when the team is better). The Pack shares a game with 2 troops (and may share a game with the new pack nearby). We've had the booth for 10 yrs - difficult to get one (we had an in, committee chair was wife of manager at stadium). Another troop sells drinks walking through the stands.

Troop has done a ham sale last 2 years for Christmas - barbecue hams and boston butts overnight - presell tickets. Net ~$750 a year.

This issue just came up at the crew meeting last night. Two new suggestions look forward to the holiday season: 1) cut and bag mistletoe; and 2) collect and bag pecans. Sell either door to door or at tables outside of Blockbuster, etc.

Free, naturally occuring resource + volunteer labor = pure profit! :)

Possibilities...

1) Our Troop sells Christmas Wreaths, end of November and start of December. We got the start from an add in "Scouters" magazine, I think. One man shepards the program, that's all we ask him to do. Two venues: preorders from a color catalog sheet and two weekends with 'stock' (ordered and paid for up front) in various places in our community. We cleared over $2000 profit last year. Boys actually have fun doing it.

2) Local Troop takes on traffic control and parking at the County Fair. One long week, but they are a big Troop and this is their only fund raiser. The Fair authority pays them well, I understand.

3) Another Troop/Venture Crew does ice delivery and trash removal at the Fair. Same arrangement, I understand.

My old trop still does a pancake breakfast first Saturday in December. 4 Saturdays fo ticket sales for all you can eat. Donated pancake mix, donated sausage links, younger scouts as serve, bus tables, clean as needed, etc. Older scouts and adults cook. Very smooth operation, only fund raiser for unit to speak of.

Nearby unit does a chicken BBQ, donated or low cost chicken, same for side dishes, $6.00 per late, big bucks.

Our pack does popcorn. My son sold $2,250, if my kid can, your can too. We had 4 boys over $1,000.

Lots of good ideas here. With the trip being next year it limits several options.So many good fundraisers take a year or two to build momentum. We're doing a Flag Lease program that generated pretty good profits the first year, but will yield even greater results during subsequent years.

For a one-time deal, rummage sales are pretty good. Also, Scout Popcorn isn't bad. I think guys get tired of selling it year after year, but if you really pushed them this one time... who knows.

Mulch and flowers are pretty good fundraisers around here. I know of a couple of troops that have partnered with a nursery to sell flowers. They deliver them to the home. They make a nice profit on them. Another does much and offers two prices, one for delivered and another to have it spread. I don't remember the exact prices, but I think it was 2x or 3x the price of the mulch to have it spread. It's a great use of your youth labor to generate profits.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of more ideas that have not been mentioned:

1) collect used cartridges, old cellphones, etc. for recycling. recycling these items can earn you up to $4.00 per item. See www.cartridgesforkids.com and www.empties4cash.com Also if you get other organizations to sign up you can earn a 10% thank you bonus. So if anyone wants to do this please im me so you can help my group earn an extra 10%

2) selling bottled water during a local parade. we have one in June of each year and have earned about $300 each year.

A couple of more ideas that have not been mentioned:

1) collect used cartridges, old cellphones, etc. for recycling. recycling these items can earn you up to $4.00 per item. See www.cartridgesforkids.com and www.empties4cash.com Also if you get other organizations to sign up you can earn a 10% thank you bonus. So if anyone wants to do this please im me so you can help my group earn an extra 10%

2) selling bottled water during a local parade. we have one in June of each year and have earned about $300 each year.