Nope, I don't know of any groups who have done that. I do know a few who have decided NOT to sell a particularly low-demand type, like the popping kernals. The thinking was that you have to order a whole case but will probably only sell a can or two, and around here units cannot return unsold product to council. So the unit ends up eating the cost of the unsold portion of the case. But I don't think I'd limit to just one variety.

Lisa'bob

No, I would not limit my sale to one type of popcorn only.

It's true, we do sell more of some kinds than others. However, we sell SOME of everything accross the board. If we did not offer it, we would not sell it at all and then we would be out that profit.

• 2 weeks later...

No, Sell all of them from the sheet.

My son sold over $2,200 and did it with some effort, but not a great deal of effort.

Map out the area where your scout will sell and keep track of which house bought and which didn't, were'nt home, etc. After closing the sale, have the scout ask if it is OK to leave the popcorn at the front door when it arrives.

My wife printed up little thak you for your purchase notes, he wrote his first name only for the thank you note and these procedures sped up the whole thing.

Gonzo1

It sounds as though Lisabob's unit does what we call a "show & sell", where you obtain product, park yourselves in a high-traffic area (like a grocery store or a Wal-Mart) and sell on the spot. In a case (no pun intended) like that, it is understandable to not offer a low-volume flavor.

I think most units, my own included, do the "take order" sales. That way we take possession of the exact quantities that our customers have ordered. We always have a few people who want the popping kernels (no added fat or salt -- important to some people), and a few who opt to purchase the $50 tins. I think we probably have higher sales than we would with a show & sell, altough I don't have any figures to prove it.

My own sons have discovered the value of tracking sales from year to year. They have a large repeat business, and even have people asking when they can buy more. They have also discovered the value of collecting up front: no "cancelled" sales, no repeated attempts to deliver/collect, etc. They always leave a signed thank-you note when people aren't home at delivery time.