Can a scout get service hours working a fundraiser

Hours spent fundraising for the troop should not be counted as service hours. While not in writing, it goes against the spirit of the requirement. However, I'll allow service hours given toward the BSA. For example, we do service hours at our council camp every year. I'm fine with using that.

I've had scouts work in fundraisers for other organizations, and given them credit for service hours. For example, one scout worked a concession stand for the local soccer league. He's not part of the league, just volunteered to help. I count that as service.

IMHO the key phrase here is "approved by his Scoutmaster"...this is something the SM decides with the scout.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but the SM runs the program. Seems like something that he & the CC might discuss and reach an agreement on together. Present it to parents, Advancement Chair & CMs and you will get as many oppinions. Bottom line...does the unit trust the SMs judgement or not?

firecrafter

It is true that the SM runs the program under and with the adult leadership of the Troop Committee.

It is true the SM can approve the Scout doing ANYTHING for service.

Lets say that the Scout wants to organize his room for service.

The SM approves this as a Service project because the parents have had a hard time getting the Scout to keep a clean room.

The SMs response when asked about it is, It is a service to the parents. and therefore a service to Others.

Since the SM signed off, it is final.

When the Scout goes in for the BOR, he is asked about his Service Project. He tells the BOR that he picked up his room for his six Service hours.

The BOR personnel scratches their collective head but they pass the Scout on.

Later, the Committee asks the SM what he is doing. The SM reads the requirement and tells the Committee that they are not to add to or take away from the requirement or how it is implemented. He has done his job and done it to the letter.

Now, BACK to the Forum where we are discussing and making suggestions.

Remember, MAKING SUGGESTIONS.

The question is what ethical goal did this Scout achieve by doing his Service project?

What ethical goal should the SM be trying to help the Scout learn by doing a SCOUT Service Project?

FB

Lets hope the SM has better judgement than allowing service hours for a clean bedroom.

The concern was originally brought up by a parent. I don't understand why they are concerned. If SM is doing his job, no problem. I must admit the concerned parent is sometimes, in my experience, just another name for pain in the rear. Sorry, but that has been my experience.

Our SM does allow service hours for some troop fundraising to be counted. We do not have individual scout accounts, so all funds go to the troop program. We find that not every boy or his family helps with unit fundraising. The boys that do, are recognized for their service to the troop. I might add that we do many other service projects throughout the year, so opportunity for service hours is not lacking. Our SM encourages scouts to serve at least three different groups in the community, to count towards advancement. This way they experience different types of service to different organizations. This always looks good at BOR time too.

We used to have a SM who would not count anything a scout did on a regular basis towards advancement. So teaching Sunday School, serving as alter boy, etc. were out. The hours could be added to the scouts record, but not counted toward advancement. It made things complicated sometimes, but it was her rule. The scouts understood and followed it.

We have a large fundraiser every year. About half of our families participate. I'd say 3/4 of the scouts attend-about 1/2 make themselves useful. Showing up does not equal service hours in our troop. The SM is there all day encouraging the boys. He sees who is working and who is sitting. He is the best judge of who gets service hours. I'm not gonna second guess him.

Having the service hours needed for advancement has never been a problem in our troop.

firecrafter

Let's just call this a Thought Experiment. FB

It is true that the SM runs the program under and with the adult leadership of the Troop Committee.

It is true the SM can approve the Scout doing ANYTHING for service.

Lets say that the Scout wants to organize his room for service.

The SM approves this as a Service project because the parents have had a hard time getting the Scout to keep a clean room.

The SMs response when asked about it is, It is a service to the parents. and therefore a service to Others.

Since the SM signed off, it is final.

When the Scout goes in for the BOR, he is asked about his Service Project. He tells the BOR that he picked up his room for his six Service hours.

The BOR personnel scratches their collective head but they pass the Scout on.

Later, the Committee asks the SM what he is doing. The SM reads the requirement and tells the Committee that they are not to add to or take away from the requirement or how it is implemented. He has done his job and done it to the letter.

Now, BACK to the Forum where we are discussing and making suggestions.

Remember, MAKING SUGGESTIONS.

The question is what ethical goal did this Scout achieve by doing his Service project?

What ethical goal should the SM be trying to help the Scout learn by doing a SCOUT Service Project?