So what do you do for a living?

SharonNC your heart must be playing tricks given your current committments. My ASM has had angina and has a family history of dying at about his current age. He is on a go slow order from the Doc. The medication and stress of a terrible work environment has changed him a bit. Gets forgetsfull, cranky and even swore in front of the Scouts at a camp. Very unlike him. But the Scouts love him dearly and are very aware that he is unwell. I would think that you are doing okay.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a helicopter pilot for the US Navy.

Okay, then I"ll play nice.  

I build aircraft carriers for Her Majesty :-D

Hi Osemu,

I'm doing much better. They did one carotid artery and put in a stent, and with medication, exercise, and God's grace. I'm doing better. The stress that I was working in at school with a very hateful principal and the many many hours I spent working with Scouts, had to be cut back.

I had a rough go for about a year and then with diet, exercise, and determination (southern grit) I'm forging ahead.

My father died at 48 years after a heart attack, so I was not surprised to have one get to me.

I do hope your SM gets better, there are so many wonderful medicines and treatments available, there is really no reason for folks to suffer anymore.

Sharon

I'm an outside sales manager for a manufacturing company that makes components for the wire and cable industry. I live in New Endland but my territory is the southern US - Texas to Georgia and Mexico. We have our troop meetings on Monday nights, then I will typically head out Tuesday morning for the remainder of the week.

Web developer for a major oil company in Houston, Texas. Yippee!

Scouting was a big part of my youth and I achieved Eagle with palms and Vigil Honor in the OA. I was fortunate to attend the National Jamboree in 1964 and the World Jamboree in 1967. I had a 25 year nap during college, graduate school and early married life until my son was Tiger Cub age. I should have said "I'll be back." and I would have been famous. Now, my son and I are on the trail to Eagle together and it's even more fun. I can't wait to get laid off so I can do this full time!

I'm off to Philmont for the first time in a few weeks. Yes, it's true. Super scout just couldn't afford Philmont as a youth, and now with creaking knees and various aches and pains I will finally meet the Tooth of Time with my son by my side. Poke me with a fork, I'm done!

Human Resources (20+ years) Executive with a Fortune 500 company. Past Board member of several national affirmative action college organizations and past member of several major University Boards helping to develop Educational Partnerships with industry. Part time instructor in behavioral sciences, mostly taught in a corporate setting.

Not in a scouting position at this time. Just an active and concerned dad.

• 1 month later...

Most important "job:" mother and teacher of 2 boys. Job that pays the bills: Registered Nurse, specializing in labor & delivery, high risk pregnancies, and post-partum care.

Scout history: drafted into leadership (Assistant) for Tigers last year, currently Wolf Den Leader and volunteered (before I was drafted, again) for Committee member and Advancement Chair. I have truly enjoyed my scouting experience thus far. Was a Girl Scout in my youth.

My #1 job is being wife to my wonderful husband of 23 years and mother of two great red-headed boys (ages 12 and 16). In addition to that, I am a home educator. I have homeschooled my children from the beginning and we will forge ahead until done. Thus, I am unable to hold a "regular" 9-5 job. Homeschooling IS my full-time job. The pay is lousy, but the rewards are innumerable. :)

I had a home business developing curriculum (primarily science) for homeschoolers, but as the business grew it demanded too much of my time and I have set it aside until the boys finish their education. I have worked off and on since college as a free-lance writer, primarily selling to religious publications, professional journals for ministers, family-oriented magazines, home education magazines, etc. For awhile my DH and I wrote a column together (on family issues) for an independently published magazine.

I also do a great deal of volunteer work. I am the Advancement Officer and Treasurer for our local troop. I am one of our church's pianists and vocalists. I do charity sewing for a variety of agencies and individuals. I do occasional work for a children's center here in town that provides services for sexually abused children.

This has been a fascinating thread. I had expected to see a predominance of "social" professions such as teaching, social work, public relations, legal, etc. I was surprised that the technical industries were so well-represented. Finance and business as well.

Charity

I'm a reinsurance Claims Consultant. I process group third party medical reinsurance claims. Prior to this job I've been a Claims Supervisor, Claims Examiner, Clerical Department Supervisor, Claims Examiner ... Kind of fell into insurance accidently and stayed.

• 2 months later...

Well, I am 12points' wife... and I am a stay-at-home-mom now, with 4 children in the home ages 14, 11, 2 and newborn, but I have always been some type of retail manager, most recently a Parts Sales Manager for AutoZone in 29 Palms, CA, prior to coming to Okinawa, Japan with 12points' military orders.

Also, I work with MiG-19 on our Great Okinawa District Staff as our Membership Chairman.

I LOVE SCOUTING! Always have, always will...

I am a full time Political Science student at a small liberal arts college with a job on campus working as a tour guide for the admissions department.

I had hoped to go into politics working on campaigns and maybe running for local office someday. However my new political passion has become Asian studies, so we'll see where that takes me.

When not scouting, writing papers, I spend a lot of time volunteering for campaigns -- I had two successes this last election day and I have spent over two years interning in my state representative's office

As I have mentioned in other threads, I am currently a Health and Safety Manager for a large engineering/construction co. I am a Certified Industrial Hygienist, and I note that the designation and profession have been addressed earlier in this thread.

In previous work lives I worked in insurance, manufacturing and in laboratory analysis. I've had the opportunity in my work to travel throughout the US, Canada and have been to China, Columbia, Saudi Arabia and Europe.

My current responsibilities keep me fairly close to home, which allows me to participate in scouting. My boss being an Eagle scout has been supportive. I am the troop advancement chair, but lately have taken a more active role in the outdoor activities, primarily because our Scoutmaster had been overseas. He is safe at home now and we're glad to have him back.

Outdoor Thinker, it may interest you to know that when I worked in China, the office I worked for was run by a woman who had majored in Asian Studies and Chinese. Many US companies had women working in China in significant leadership roles, primarily due to their command of the local language, and their organizational skills.

SA

I am a stay at home dad I was diagnosed with a heart disorder at the age of 16. In 1983 my health took a very sharp downturn and I ended up at Stanford Hospital in the heart transplant program ,6 weeks later I had a healthy "new" heart beating in my chest.

I do donate as much time and energy as I can to church, scouting and my childrens school.

I've worked as a machinist for the last 10 years at several small companies. I also work a part time job at night as a security officer for a large company. This allows my wife to stay at home and homeschool our six children. One boy--

five girls, so Scouting is for me as much as for my boy, to get us both out of the house...

Curtis