So what do you do for a living?

Thanks, bondtrader. Welcome to the forums. They are filled with lots of good people and I'm glad you're one of us.

Everyone has something to contribute, whether it be a well worded question, or one someone was afraid to ask, an opinion or an answer.

I hope we'll get your input frequently.

It's always good to have a financially knowledgeable addition to anything, in my opinion.

Ds

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a helicopter pilot for the US Navy.

Okay, then I"ll play nice.  

I build aircraft carriers for Her Majesty :-D

Wow, Great Thread!

Like 12 Points, I too am a 24 year Marine Veteran on Okinawa. Unlike 12 Points, I just retired last month! However, I am one of those guys who just can't do anything else, so I stayed on here in the same job I had before I retired, which is the Deputy G-3 (Operations Officer) for Marine Corps Bases Japan.

As a Marine, I was a pilot, primarily in helicopters. My primary aircraft was the CH-46 Sea Knight, the large tandem-rotor helicopter we use for Troop Assault Support. I also flew at the Navy Flight School as a flight instructor for three years, which involved flying the Bell TH-57 (Bell Jet Ranger). I also flew Marine ONE for four years during the first Bush administration, which is the green and white VH-3D and VH-60 that you see on the White House lawn. My last flying job here in Okinawa was as a part time flyer (once a week) flying the UC-12, or the Beech King Air, which is a nice T-Tail twin engine turboprop. We flew from Okinawa all over the Pacific, to Mainland Japan, Korea, Philippines, Guam, etc. It was a great job.

Now I do the same work I was doing before I retired, only I don't fly, and I wear a coat and tie instead of camoflage. I'm back into Scouting on Okinawa as a Unit Commissioner, and am about to become a Tiger Cub Den Leader for my twin son's Tiger Cub Den. It is great to be back in the fold. Semper fi,

MiG-19

MiG-19,

It probably wasn't your intention...but I'm impressed. :-)

I never served in the arm forces, but I have immense respect for those who have or do, especially those folks who made a career of it. Of course, the fact that youve piloted jets and helicopters didnt go unnoticed. All of that stuff by itself is pretty remarkable. But then you turn around and casually remark that you flew Marine One. Wow! By the way, any chance you flew Marine One to Goddard Space Flight Center in the late Eighties or early Nineties. I was there when President Bush came to visit. I really enjoyed watching Marine One land Its a special sight to see. It must have been great being around the President (especially a man who served the office with such honor). I think his "kid" turned out to be okay too. If youre in the DC area this summer, send me an email. My sons will have an Eagle Court of Honor in July/August, Id love for you to be our guest.

At the risk of sounding like a 9-year-old (Im actually 44), I think your job/career is really cool! You should be proud of your service to this country.

Rooster7,

Thanks for the kind words, and the invite. I would never turn down an invite to an Eagle COH, so if I get to the area, I'll definately call.

It was a great job, but only one in a career that was nothing but an adventure. Marine ONE is maintained by Marine Helicopter Experimental Squadron ONE, or HMX-1. HMX-1 is the largest aviation squadron in the Marine Corps. At any one time there are over 60 pilots serving in the squadron. Wherever the President is in the World, you will find several Marine ONE aircraft and crew, so it doesn't take long to run out of personnel and aircraft when you have well-travelled Presidents!

The Bush's were a great family, and he never got on the aircraft that he didn't come up front and slap the crew on the shoulder and have a kind word. The whole family was extremely nice.

All in all, I would just say that for young Scouts considering careers (are you listening Hop Scout?) the military offers adventures in spades. I feel like I never had to grow up, that life has been one long summer camp!

Thanks again for the kind words, and the invitation.

Semper fi,

MiG-19

Okay, I've had enough! I usually don't give in to the service rivalries, but here goes. HopsScout, I'm very familiar with the Ranger motto, but bear in mind that those Rangers are riding BEHIND USAF pilots who are leading them to the DZ (self-loading cargo, I believe is the term)!

All kidding aside, I had an opportunity to work with the 75th Rgt to plan and execute an air base takedown a couple years back -- a good bunch, and quite well-turned out, too.

KS

• 1 month later...

Update:

Just opened my second store at the airbase. This is similar to the first store at the village (town). I have three more postal/forwarding service stores on the planning table to open within the next year.

The biggest request are phone cards.

Having Fun. . .

Matua

I don't earn a paycheck, and I haven't done so for 12 years now. I'm a stay-at-home mom. During the past 12 years as a SAHM, some of my volunteer experience was serving as teacher's aide, chaperone, pre-school bible teacher, elementary sunday school teacher, crisis pregnancy counselor, treasurer of 2 local non-profits, and chairman of the board of another. My working experience was almost always office manager and/or accounting (they were often combined). While working, I was also a volunteer: Girl Scouts, Young Life, Word of Life, big sister program (not THE Big Sister Program but one similar), stats/paper work for various orgs, and church youth leader for middle and senior high school. That was for 13 years prior to baby. (Sheesh...I'm getting old when I count back so far and haven't reached my sandbox days :) ) Currently, my only volunteer time goes to Cubs and Boy Scouts (Assistant Cubmaster, Troop Committee Member, and Cub Webmaster), and I chase an almost-2-year-old about the house :)

My husband is a computer consultant, has been for 13 years, but has been out of work for too long. He's very into Scouting though! We are currently living off his e-business (and learning lots about being thrifty), which is the sale of tube amplifier parts--something which I know nothing about. But then, until he talked me into going on-line, I knew nothing of that either. He is regretting that move ;)

Thanks for this message board--love the ideas and feedback I get here

(This message has been edited by Laurie)

I'm a CPA who specializes in financial planning and investment management. I was a scout as a youth and welcomed the opportunity to get back involved when my sons joined scouting. Currently serving as SM for a troop of 45 youth.

I retired in November 2001 after a heart attack from Public School education. I had been a teaching assistant for nine years previously.

I have since worked 2 summers as our summer camp business manager and increased my Scouting hours to +60 a week. LOL

I work with a troop weekly, with events monthly, and work (yes, I actually work it, I'm not just a name on the list) a position on our Council Executive board.

Good thing the heart is getting stronger, eh?

Like Laurie, I am a stay-at-home mother - and have been for a LONG time! I am at the point where I can begin reviewing my options for possible employment. Also like her, I've done a major amount of volunteering. (Husband thinks I'm addicted to it!:) ) I've worked with children and youth in various capacities for over 25 years, and totally enjoyed myself. I don't ever expect that to change.