Im looking to start this in my troop. How do i go about it and keep track of it? i dont have any programs to help me i only have excel and access. i was going to use access like bank records. and excel to do all the math from all the fund raisers. any ideas??

I have not used Access enough to be that good with it. I would go with Excel spreadsheets for each boy feeding into a total page with data either input or imported from the fundraiser spreadsheets.

Set the ground rules now...What happens when:

A Scout transfers to an ohter troop (or Crew)

A scout ages out

A scout is dismised

A scout leaves

If the troop moves

If the troop loses it's charter or dies

If the troop "splits"

I like to limit the amount in hte accounts to what is needed for the next goal (Camp, special trip or what ever)

Another thing I have done that worked great was rather than cash we offered a hooded sweat shirt with the troop logo. The only way to ger one was to earn it, they were not for sale at any price.

My suggestions...

If you have more than 15 scouts...get a program designed to keep track of money (Quicken, Quickbooks, TroopLedger, etc). It will save you a lot of time and aggravation.

If you have more than 40 scouts...stay away from scout accounts (except for very limited purposes, i.e. - summer camp, high adventure trip). It will save you a lot of time and aggravation.

I have created an Excel Program which i feel is a very easy way to keep track of accounts. it can hold up to 100 scouts with almost no effort. Each scout has his own account page and that reverts all its information to a main page that shows everything. I may post it on our troop website when i work all the kinks out of it..

I know some of you might not like this, the unit and all of its assets belong to the CO, so unless there is some agreement between the CO and the unit this the was that it is supposed to be:

A Scout transfers to an ohter troop (or Crew)-$$$ to the troop

A scout ages out-$$$ to the troop

A scout is dismised-$$$ to the troop

A scout leaves-$$$ to the troop

If the troop moves-$$$ to the CO

If the troop loses it's charter or dies-$$$ to the CO

If the troop "splits"-$$$ to the troop from the scouts that "split"

thank you all very much. heres another question. how should money get split up among the boys? is there a percentage they can get? how should this work? im working on implementing all this in to the program i made for this. thank you all again.

If you have never had Scout Accounts before, this is a very big step. Your Committee should be discussing the hows & whys. They should make the call on the percentage given to the boys. This is not something that you should be deciding on your own.