Surprise Donation to the Troop

Husband came in a while ago from working night shift. Brought home 3 well-used but good condition backpacks. Seems he's been talking with some guys he works with about our Troop's upcoming backpack trip and they thought we could use the packs.

Don't you just love a wonderful surprise like that?

We had someone donate a used bass drum to us last year. One of the heads was busted. We don't have a Scout band, nor does anyone around us. :p

Once had an older woman in the community donate her son's Cub Scout uniform to us. The uniform was from the 1950's - complete with blue and gold community strip. That's something I treasure.

Had a guy call me last week to see if I was interested in some tents. He brought them by. There are 6 7x7 popup tents. Don't know what condition they are in yet but even if only a couple of them are usable it is a plus.

I have had customers give me money from time to time. I picked up some lanterns a while back because a cumstomer gave me $40.00 to do something for my troop. We had made a mistake and bought Winsel lanterns. They are junk. And actually had been called back before we bought them. We now have 2 nice new Colemans.

gwd-scouter good story!

ALL-

NETWORK- NETWORK- NETWORK (even when you don't know your doing it) As the Equipment Guy and QM mentor for our troop I am always looking for "toys" to make the "Game" more fun!

It is funny how one thing leads to another...Whenever I can I let friends and neighbors know (without being a pest of course, that I work with the Scouts...

The number of mess kits, lanterns, two burner coleman gas stoves, pots and pans, Dutch Ovens and old but still usable back packs that have been 'dropped off' with a comment like "ghee, found this stove at a yard sale for a buck...can you use it?", or "Gosh, my father has this old lantern...don't think it works but it looks brand new could the scouts use something like this" ...is unbelievable.

over the last ten years I have help two other B.S.troops and a G.S. unit with a few of the the basics until they could buy better...just asking that they pass the gear along when they "upgrade".

Most recently, a local civil engineer who had seen our troop's canoe trailer crusing through town many times on its way to and from outings, called and asked us if we would be interested in fixing up and old sail boat he had purchased "a few years ago" as a fixer upper...and just never seem to have "gotten around to it"...He figured (seeing the canoes all the time) that we liked to play in the water, so heck, we might be agreeable to moving a tarped eyesore from his back yard...as it turned out an old Pearson "hawk" 16 foot sailer...It WAS a bit rough, had a good size fracture in the (fibreglass) forward bilge area some rot here and there

but it made a great "project boat"...gave some of the guys some boat repair work and one of our leaders turned out to be an pretty good sailor...we floated her last fall and while she still isn't pretty...she is a lot of fun to take on the lakes when we put the canoes out...looks like a mother duck and a bunch of red ducklings...

point is- let people know you are out there...tell people what you do (gently now. Write up your own 'news' stories about your activities -for your local paper or neighborhood newsletter...even for the church bulletin...take every opportunity to get your scouts out in the public arena...doing good works (in uniform if possible). You do not have to beg...good people will discover ways to help...

and never turn down anything...if you can not use a servicable item (have enough stoves?) take it; fix it up and offer it to a unit that can use it... or sell it at the troop yard sale and use the profit to buy tent pegs! Even rotted tents can be "gleaned" for poles, fittings and patch material.

Some times we forget with all of our own personal 'challenges'...good things do happen and flowers bloom in the spring!

Spread the good word

Anarchist

(was this too nice? feeling weird...oughta go take my meds)