Fundraising/Recruitment fair?

Between my husband and myself, (I'm a Webelos leader, and he's just getting into committee) We've been talking about having a fair.

Like face painting and any other stands we can use, we want to see if any college students would be willing to offer their services free of charge to us, but let us charge for fundraising....so if it's $2-$3 to have your face painted, 100% of it would go to the pack----

What do you think? We'd like to also make it a recruitment day because our pack is going down hill fast, we need all the FUN we can provide.

As a den leader, I have 1 year left before my den crosses over to troop, I can't leave without a strong fight to keep our pack going strong....we have such little money to do anything, everyone gets so tired of "selling" things.

Does any of this sound like a good plan???? And if so, does anyone know how I start this??? I mean some stands (any ideas for different stands would be great) can be run by leaders and boy scouts, but I'd like to add other things, like maybe someone to draw one of those cartoon pictures of people.

Some stands I'm thinking of:

Face Paint

Cartoon pics

some kind of ring toss

Other than that I'm not too sure, plus I'd need prizes if I go with the ring toss type stands

H E L P me please

Hi Cubleader6,

You could probably organize your own Cub Fair, but you may find you have better luck setting up a booth at an established community event. Doing so would probably mean more exposure. Also it would be a lot less work. If your town has some sort of spring or summer fair, a farmer's market, evening concerts in the park, parades, etc., you can start by contacting the organizers (chamber of commerce might be able to help you with this) and explaining what you want to do.

Keeping on the straight and narrow:

In order to do any fundraising other than popcorn you need to get approval from your council. You should ask for a unit money earning application (also available online at http://www.scouting.org/forms/34427.pdf ). Be sure to read the rules for what is and isn't allowed. I can't see why your idea wouldn't be allowed, but you still need to go through all the proper channels.

Good luck!

Lisa'bob

Cubleader6:

We've done face painting at our local Harvest Festival before. We had a few Scouts to man the booth and parents to do the actual face painting. Worked out well for us. Not a big fundraiser, but good for a quick few dollars.

I don't know what will work in your community, but around here, scout groups do use these events as fundraisers. You might actually make more in outright donations than in fees or tickets or whatever. I wouldn't get my face painted but I'd probably throw in a couple of dollars to the pack on my way by.

Another easy one - some scout groups around here sell bottled water at community events. Again you need to make sure you have the backing of whatever group is running the event, as well as your council's approval.

And another: I know a cub pack around here that did a car wash last summer and raised about $600 in 4 hours.

Lisa'bob