Received and intersting call from DC last night to remind me of the popcorn kick off tomorrow night. He mentioned new plans for this year one of which was unit quotas for sales. We've never had this before and expected amount mandated by council. We've have our targeted about for our Troop budget (which we have not met in the past 3 years now). We are a small rural Troop (pop 8,000) and can't compete with those units in the nearest town (pop 26,000). Also the majority of our district is rural as well so I'm sure there will be some units drop out of popcorn given this news. Although the DC didn't mention the $$ amount of the quota just that council wished for 1 million from sales this year.

Any other council impose a sales quota on your Troops or Packs?

In our council, you have a goal that is set at what you sold last year, then incentives based on how much over the goal you sell.

I can't imagine them setting a strict quota, maybe its a goal and someone is using the wrong wording.

So what happens if it is a quota and you don't meet it? Do you get fined? maybe chastized? or maybe they have a ceremony and rip off your SM patch?????

Well they've never set even gaols previously and I've been involved since my son was a tiger and was cubmaster 3 yrs for the Pack. The we've always sold what we could and take our "cut" and run our program from that. We generally did well in Cubs clearing about $1000-$1500 per year. For the last 3 as a Troop we've been lucky to clear $400! Only one Wally world in the nearest town and four Troops there. Nothing in the country except farms several miles apart.

We do our best fundraising with out spaghetti dinner and car washes at our CO than we ever have on popcorn.

Well went to the popcorn kick off last night and quota was changed to goal. Now here's the exciting part! The Troop last year sold $986.23 gross sales (only 3 Scouts participated) DE said "this year we want everyone to obtain 20% above last year and we've indicated your goal on your review sheets in your packets." Well doing the quick math in my head while he's handing out packets. I thougth OK a couple of hundred bucks more is probably attainable. I get my packet and we finally get to the spread sheet. The goal listed for our 6 boy Troop $4000.00! Once I got off the floor and got my bearings I got out the calculator that's a 305.585% increase!!!

Sort of like the $32,000.00 Pack budget in the training DVD (we all wanted to know what that Pack did with that amount of Money). So of course others are starting to figure their chunk of the money pit and the fur starts to fly. After all as said and done the DE said "I tell you what if you don't thik you can attain the goal listed give me a goal on your popcorn sign up sheet and that's what we'll expect. So I targeted $1000.00. Hate see what the want for FOS.

Our council goal is 15% more than last year. Make goal you get standard percentage. Exceed goal and you get 50% of sales over goal. The secret is once goals are getting too high, you have a bad year, then you get to start at bottom on goals again.

Like scoutldr. we sell what we can. Popcorn sales always hits us at the same time band booster sales hits. Plus sorry but as good as the popcorn is it is simply to expensive. The only year we did show and sell we set up outside Lowes. Everyone that came out was very nice but we got the same comment. That's just to expensive.

Kevin has been lucky so far. He has sold $4-500 every year. But he works very hard at it and has people that know when it is going on sale and want the microwave corn.

I personally think they should target popcorn that is $5-10 a package. Instead of having the majority being $15+.