fundraising for troops

There are several you can do, troop garage sale, candy bars, popcorn,car washes, Xmas tree recylcing,even have a local troop that for I believe for $25.00 will erect a flag pole on 4-5 major holidays and then remove it. Just dont forget to file a fundraising permit

Look for the book "Great Fundraising Ideas for Youth Groups" by David and Kathy Lynn. Available at Amazon.com and most bigger church supply bookstores. Some of the ideas are not consistant with the Scouting fundraising philosophy* (pass those ideas on to your sports team!) The book claims to have '6 quick and easy ways to raise $1,000!'

(*- OK, an example of a great but 'not for the BSA' idea in the book is 'fundraising insurance'- give us a set amount ($20-40) and we won't come to you with any other fundraiser for a year. Another idea is having adults run classes to teach their skills, and splitting the class fees between the meeting place, teachers, and youth group.)

Sorry I can't share more ideas, but this is one of the books I donated to the pack library when I moved on.

Our local schools do a deal with a pizza place, where for every pizza you buy on certain nights, they donate money to the school. Sounds like the same idea, except about three orders of magnitude bigger.

I think our COR could figure out a way to deal with a ton of unexpected donations. But still, I don't think I'll be doing this. Can anyone explain why this somehow feels less wholesome than the pizza deal?

I too am impressed by how on-topic the spam has become. Google doesn't know about Brian Kiplinger, and I see no web site in the post, so it's not even clear how one would take advantage of this "opportunity" if one wanted to.

I'll bet our troop could find ways to use up $150,000. My son would have no shortage of suggestions of trips to take. Plus the Scout Gymnasium.

Oak Tree

I'd echo madkins007's recommendation of Dave and Kathy Lynn's youth fundraising book. The book has a large number of ideas, and some of them are a scream! The Lynns make two particularly salient points:

1. Units should distinguish between raising cash from current members of their organization or from outside sources/customers. I know parents in our unit get tired of buying the boys' latest product.

2. The fundraising effort should support the organization's other goals. For example, Scouts selling lightbulbs door-to-door don't have the same experience as Scouts selling birdhouses they have designed and built.

Having said all that, we've had particular success with pancake breakfasts at area schools just before large sporting events (approximately $2,000 in revenue) and large--really large--rummage sales, where an entire school parking lot is filled with goods for sale. The rummage sale requires a lot of storage space to hold the sale items over the six months or so that material accumulates before the sale.

Good luck on your fundraising. Please let us all know how you do!

Student