According to the "Cub Scout Leader Book" page 11-4 *Money-earning projects are pack, not den, activities...*

Before finding this out, as most of the committee in our pack are new, we had den fundraisers. One den made jar candles and did great. Three dens sold candy bars and profits helped pay for daycamp, also worked great. One den leader signed a contract and has been accused by the company of not complying with said contract. What a mess. Council was called, lawyers are involved. Of course our DE was quick to point out page 11-4 to us. We won't be allowing that anymore. Fortunately since she signed the contract our den, pack and council are all safe from prosecution. She isn't. It's a bad situation.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

CM363, I have the same belief that you do. For my point, I try to tell the Dens that request this that it does not promote Pack unity but Den individuality. When that doesn't work, I then pull out the Leader Book. Needed financial support for things that Committee Member's dens raised money for should be budgeted. If Dens need money for specific projects or outings, that money should come from Den Dues or Pack funds, depending on the structure of your Pack finances. Additionally, if funds are raised through Den activities, it limits the amount of money that the Pack earns through its fund raisers.

Before joining my new Pack they had a parent who wanted to make a large donation. I never bothered to get a clear explanation of the "gift" as it was already a done deal before I arrived but the sum of about $500 ended up going directly to that den only. Had I been there, I certainly would have done my best to not allow that to occur.