I started in an inner-city district, and I know where you're coming from.

Is there a place at your meeting place where you can store the boy's uniforms? They may not want to wear them on the street, but I'll bet they're very proud of them. If you can give them the freedom to dress for the meeting just before the meeting, I'll bet they take you up on it.

Follow the youth protection stuff when they dress, but give them the opportunity. They dress for gym, they can dress for Scouts.

Just a thought.

DS

Hello ACLT31,

I am a Scoutmaster for a hispanic troop in Los Angeles. So I know about these obticles. I know that many people are going to pounce at this post but I don't care when the boys put there uniform on just as long as when we start the meeting they are in a complete uniform. Many of the boys just keep their shirts in their backpacks until they arrive others wear it from home.

Once they get into Scouting they aren't embarassed of being a Scout and it doesn't bother them. You'll know you are doing a good job when the boys start inviting their friends.

Many of the families couldn't afford to purchase a complete uniform, around $100. So I make routine trip to the second hand stores and buy all the scout shirts I can, my wife cleans the up and I give them to the boys. Some of the stores now know me and call me when there are uniforms and give them to me with a good discount, so I offer the uniforms to other Troops that have the need.

You're doing a great work, inner-city youth really are starving for what Scouts offers.

I can't see any objections to that last post. Hang in there -- let one or two of the parents know about the work involved in your "uniform bank" Perhaps someone will offer to help or run with it themself!

You are 100% about the measure of success being the boys' willingness to invite friends. They don't need grief from strangers.