Campmasters Popcorn

We had our popcorn kickoff last night and my council is switching from Trail's End to Campmasters. Trail's End must have done something to really tick some people off. The main reason stated for the switch was customer service!

They seem to have a lot of the same varieties with a few new ones. The Roasted Corn microwave was tasty, but I am not a fan of the Toffee flavored. Also, prices have gone up. The cheapest item is now $10, up from $7 last year.

Do any of your councils use Campmasters? What do you (and your customers) think of the popcorn and the program?

Thanks for any input!

Our council is switching to Campmasters as well. It didn't taste any better, and the samples we saw were not even in tins just microwave boxes. Oh well another scouting tradition bites the dust. I just wonder as you do why the switch? They might just as well sell Orville Redenbacher.

We are still selling Trails End popcorn. But from what I hear they (Trails End) Are very picky about where and when they will deliver.

Last year in an effort to save on delivery charges we had all the popcorn delivered to one site and then we took the cases to each district pick-up site.

I don't know but maybe this has something to do with it? Service as well as profitability counts.

Eamonn.

• 5 weeks later...

LHC is switching to Campmasters as well. We received several samples. The chocolate tastes the same, but the caramel is pretty tough. Personally, I don't think it is as good as Trail's End.

I was told that the reasons were related to delivery and the $7 item. Trails' End requires them to order by the pallet. Campmaster's is much more flexible. Plus, the company behind Campmasters is located right here in our council.

We were also told that they were very successful in the Detroit area last year. Does anyone know about that?

I am not that worried about this year's sales. I am concerned about next year's, if the quality drops off. We may lose repeat customers because of the switch.

I don't believe that popcorn compares to Girl Scout cookies. People actually enjoy specific kinds of GS cookies and they buy several packages not only for the taste but to assist the girl's in their program financially. People feel that there is a balance between the cost and the product. (*This last year the price seemed higher than in the past.)

BS popcorn is different because the price is so high people are buying because they want to help finance a worthy program. Taste is secondary an almost not a consideration. The cost is out of proportion with the product.

FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

• Upvote 1

Don't worry Eagle if your customers are not happy just send them my way Bluegrass Council is selling $7.00 caramel corn tins. I'd be happy to accomodate some folks. Were signed up for internet ordering so they can order from the Troop online and receive it UPS at home and the boys still get credit for the sale.

PS Story has it in this part of the state that someone in your council worked/owned interest in Campmasters so that's why they were chosen.

No matter send anyone that wants Trails end to Troop 376.

• 3 weeks later...

Our council also is making the switch. I heard it was becasue of cost. But when I checked with a friend of mine in another area. They are still doing Trail's End and the prices are the same. They did add a Chocolate Lovers at the higher end. But the smaller tims are still $7.

I also heard the quality is not as great. I know the prices have gone up some...but the amount has stayed the same. My fear is that we won't get the repeat customers. We have people who look so forward to the Trails End Popcorn.

I love the fact that TE has the internet order process as I may end up ordering some from my friends son in order to get my Trail's End Fix.LOL

With GS Cookies and Camp Fire Candy the prices have somewhat remained the same but the amount/weight you get has been less.

From the samples I've tasted, I think there is a big quality drop in Campmasters. I'm terribly afraid this is going to kill a great fund-raiser. I've always been very supportive of it. But, if I have to catch a lot of grief from friends and relatives that I work with, I don't know that it's worth it. I think the council is shooting itself in the foot.

As I stated earlier my council is switching to Campmasters this year and we had a tasting kickoff the other night. I agree with the poster who said the quality was not as good, in fact i think it is terrible. I agree that we will lose alot of repeat customers this year, those little collectible tins are popular here probably as a momento and reminder of scouting. As the COR for my unit I went to council to complain about the switch, as we were originally told all councils are switching to Campmasters. Thanks to you guys I know thats not true, the SE agreed to another meeting with the COR's to discuss the issue some more.

I am the Kernel for my council's popcorn sale. I, along with the fundraising committee, are given the opportunity to voice our concerns, opinions, and have input with the popcorn sale. We have been selling Trail's End for many years now. We compared both Camp Masters and Trail's End to determine the best product for our council. We found Trail's End to have superior quality, lower prices, plenty of items to choose from (including a $7 item)and full web based program to support the sale. It was a no brainer to stay with Trail's End. Plus, we have a strong customer base. I would really question your council for the truth in why they switched.

• 15 years later...

So, in 2016 our Council merged with another to save money.  That Council sold Campmasters, and the quality was worlds better.  Trail's End tasted stale.  The other council also had better organization, and discipline.  Long story short is that BSA popcorn is a very hot topic, and two years later, went back to Trail's End, which my family won't eat (they love Kirkland movie popcorn).

I hoped someone from this decade had experience with the two, and if they could agree with my opinions on taste, or not.

Bottom line is that people won't buy Trail"s End.  I have to sell to strangers outside a storefront.  I've tried to buy directly from Campmasters, but never get a reply back.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm not a popcorn fanatic and I only ever get kernels so I can pop it myself. I do know that after letting half a bag sit in my cupboard for a few years it doesn't pop so great. But what does pop is good. All the other stuff is no fun or too sweet.

That all said, if you can sell more of one variety over another, I think that's what I'd push for. If you feel bad about the money not going to council then just figure out what their cut would have been and make a donation. Which approach would bring in more money for your unit?