501(C)3 non profit status

23 minutes ago, SNEScouter said:

You seem to think that financial support of the council does not support "Scouting."  That's concerning.

BSA has lots of rules and guidelines about how units are to finance their operations, etc., and who can solicit funds from outside sources.  (Spoiler - the unit cannot solicit).  They're not perfect but they're the rules and simply circumventing them or flouting them isn't the answer IMHO.

Perhaps I didn't word that well. Yes, money going council's way absolutely supports Scouting. What I was trying to say was that when individual units aren't ferreting out potential sources of these funds, those funds never end up with the council OR the unit. They just get missed. Like stated in previous posts, I'm meeting both registered adult volunteers AND parents who work with these companies and they're not logging their hours.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BSA and Councils have rules about Unit Fundraising.  We were always forbidden from soliciting corporate donations, because that is the job of the Professionals and is the Council tier of Friends of Sc

In our church the youth groups leave the common areas a shambles. When I was spl we got blamed a lot before I took over. We started taking before and after pictures of the meeting rooms and common are

We had a similar situation. Long long story short, we asked the church to look into the matter instead of just blaming our scouts for all the damages they where finding. The committee was upset becaus

11 minutes ago, Timbuktu said:

Yes, money going council's way absolutely supports Scouting.

No, the money goes to support the Boy Scouts of America, which is a "non-profit" which attempts to provide a Scouting program, with varying degrees of success, depending on your local variables.

There are other Scouting programs out there...

"As for me and my house", we conduct a Scouting program under the auspices of, and using the materials developed by, the Boy Scouts of America.  99% of the work done to put on this program is done by the volunteers and parents of our unit.  (Maybe even more 😜 ) 

And there have been discussions in our Committee about moving our entire Scouting program to Trail Life USA (https://www.traillifeusa.com/), or Outdoor Service Guides (https://outdoorserviceguides.org/).

1 hour ago, SNEScouter said:

You seem to think that financial support of the council does not support "Scouting."  That's concerning.

BSA has lots of rules and guidelines about how units are to finance their operations, etc., and who can solicit funds from outside sources.  (Spoiler - the unit cannot solicit).  They're not perfect but they're the rules and simply circumventing them or flouting them isn't the answer IMHO.

With respect, some councils do an excellent job supporting Scouting, and others do not.

When folks ask for help from the council with recruiting new Scouts, and the council gives none, that is not supporting Scouting.

When folks provide a budget, list of supplies, vendors, and costs with enough time to get them, only for council to ignore everything, causing the event organizing to run around last minute to get supplies locally for a higher price, and then blames them for going overbudget, that is not supporting Scouting.

When folks secure a donor for an event, covers the cost of the event so prices can drop the price allowing as many Scouts to attend as possible, and they still want the original budgeted price so they can make more money,  that is not supporting Scouting.

When a group of volunteers who are experts in architecture and construction come to you with plans to build a needed facility comes to the council with building plans up to code specification, environmental studies, etc and a list of vendors to build it AND folks pledged to pay for the building, And council you dismiss it out of hand, that is not supporting. Scouting.

You can guess what type of council mine has been

• Thanks 1

Forgot to add, these are some of the reasons that unit serving folks are not happy with councils, and see no reason to support them.

Also when a council asks for 20%-50% of a unit fundraiser in order to approve it, and they are doing nothing to help you, folks get resentful.

5 hours ago, SNEScouter said:

A lot of financial support in most councils seem to support the professionals and the "development" and "marketing" staff who in fact seem to only raise money so the council can do lots of things not directly related to Scouting programs and then enable them to hire more  "development" and "marketing" staff .... rinse, lather, repeat.

Remember, BSA professionals and councils firmly are in the "Scouting is around so we can raise money" column.  Most units and in the trenches volunteers naively think that "Money is raised to have Scouting".   Never forget we do not actually have the same goals.  Look at how much time of the council staff if spent raising money.

Edited by Jameson76
  • Like 1