What is allowed by bsa?

Can my Cub Scout den do a fund raiser? We are a in a very economically poor area and a few kids are with single moms. They may not be able to go to summer camp, which cost 40.00$, this year.(This message has been edited by zippie2223)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, sort of. You will need your pack to submit a unit fundraising application for whatever you decide to do. Only the Pack is allowed to do fundraising. Your den could be the only ones working it, but the rest of the pack may also work on it.

Dont forget to check with your council; most councils have a campership fund that will help out with the cost of camp. I know the one in our council has a hard time giving the money away as it has not been getting enough requests.

zippie, your question has already been answered by others, so let me ask YOU a question. You mention "summer camp" costing "40.00$." Is that forty (40) dollars, U.S. currency? And what is the camp, is it Cub Scout day camp? Run by council or district? $40 for one week? The reason I ask is that this is less than one-fourth what I had to pay per week of Cub Scout day camp for my son. For $40 I would want to make sure they aren't employing the kids as slave labor on a road construction crew or something.

40$ is for a five days camp. It is district run. 160$ I would just quit...

We already have two single moms struggling to make ends meet. Damn I'm in a two parent working family and I would never pay 160$ for camp.

thats us dollars

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Slow down on the price wars, guys and gals!

It may not be obvious to you, but it is to me. There are some big time differences from council to council regarding Day Camp prices and you have to make sure you're comparing apples to oranges.

Some day camps have volunteer staffs and short windows. Does your district/council offer 1 session of day camp with a volunteer staff and bring your own meals? Those will be cheaper than multi-session day camps with paid staff. Are meals included? Price goes up. Does the pack provide walkers for the dens, or are they paid staff. Is bussing provided? T-shirts, cups, patches, even hats? All that stuff drives the price up or down.

I've seen and worked with Day Camps across the board in Cub Scouting. Here are some major expenses that factor into the cost. Absence of one leads to a reduction in cost and the addition of one adds to the cost. Not all are equal, but all are important:

Expenses:

Staff -- free (volunteer) paid (expensive) or simply well recognized (with t-shirts and hats)

Recognition items -- do the kids get t-shirts, cups, patch, etc.?

Program supplies -- craft stuff, wood working supplies and tools, rope, nature books, whatever.

Facility rental -- does the camp pay to use a park, or rent the council property, or pay for portajohns, or water, etc.?

Transportation -- are busses provided? Seen that. Big expense.

Entertainment for the rest period can be expensive.

Food -- is the day camp providing meals and kitchen staff? More expense. Even if they're not, refrigeration for the lunches can be an additional expense.

Training expense (often overlooked) the Camp Director, Program Director and business manager have to attend national camp school in order to be certified in order for the camp to open. It's in the price. If they repeat -- great. It's a 5 year certificate. Add a new one and you have a new expense.

Promotion expense -- is there a Day camp promotion piece or video? That's an expense.

Don't look at these things as price to price. You need to look at what's included and what's not when comparing prices. Day Camp to Day camp comparisons are not apples to apples.

If all else asks, ask your day camp advisor to see the budget.

DS

Crazy? Not from where I'm sitting. The day camp I'm director of charges $95 for a 5-day program, but the length of the camp is only one factor determining the cost.

I'd be glad to share our camp budget with anyone who is interested. But some of the highlights include 10% of our budget taken off the top by the council; $2,000 for busses and drivers to pick up Scouts in the far reaches of the district and to shuttle them between the two camp sites; about $10 per Scout for a T-shirt (part of our security/ID system) and camp patch; $18 for each volunteer for a little bit nicer collared shirt; $800 for fuel, bait and gear for the fishing boats; $350 to send our aquatics director to camp school; nearly $1,000 for a picnic lunch the last day of camp;on and on and on.

Anyone who balks at the cost of day camp should compare the cost of non-Scout camps. And I'm not talking luxury spa camps either. Our local Y charges $200 for a week at their day camp. I pay $50 per week for my boys to go to a 2-hour per day after school program.

Anyone who is balking at paying $40 for summer camp needs to re-examine their priorities. Unless a family is absolutely destitute (and there are scholarship programs if they are), anyone should be able to come up with $40 between now and June.

TwocubDad:

Thanks for the great example. Expenses vary greatly across the country, as does what it pays for.

That's what I've discovered in property taxes as well. Still haven't figured out what Ohio is going to give us at twice the price than Wisconsin gave us, but I bet there's something we're overlooking.

If not, I've got some letters to write and phones to ring. Or is it wring? ;)

DS