A big problem with fundraising -- motivation

We don't mind selling popcorn, it's just that even in November you run the risk of all the chocolate being melted.

Maybe if trails end could sell tamales?????

Just not ... chocolate covered tamales...

BD

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of what you are concerned with relates to location. There are some parts of the Denver metro area (where I live) that are harder to motivate members than others. In the north area, we have several troops where money is needed to do what they want to do and the kids are motivated to do it.

I think we will be looking into the Fun Money and/or Lunch Money programs that my sons did for their hockey (yes, both scouts and sports!). It raised money faster than anything we had ever seen before by twice the amount.

That is another motivator--success. When the kids see the money coming in for their efforts they are motivated to continue. Averaging $35-$40 an hour will do that most of the time.

• 2 months later...

Not true for everyone, but a general pattern:

The kids that can afford the gear and the outings are the ones that are also motivated by the fundraisers. The kids that don't have much also do not seem to be morivated at all to raise money even though we put the money into their Scout accounts. It would not be that hard to get enough to pay for summer camp, but every year we send in campership applications for Scouts who sold a whopping $20 or $30 worth of popcorn.

It is not so much an affluence issue, but one of general atitude and motivation. Kids from affluent families tend to have parents who work hard and are competitive.

One Scout recently sold $7.00 worth of popcorn then applied for a campership. When we informed his parents that he could get a free physical at the local clinic, we were told that it was OK since "Medicaid would pay for the physical". These same parents were out of work, but didn't have time to help out at camp. Other parents took vacation to help out. I even had to give the kid a ride home from camp when the parents forgot to pick him up. No fundraising, free camping, free physical, other parents watching the kid for a week and free transportation! What a deal! It is hard to motivate a kid when that is what they see at home. We tried real hard with him, but he eventually dropped out... Too bad cause he was basically a good kid with a bad deal.

I never thought much about this before becoming involved in scouts - but I have to call it like I see it. There is only so much you can do.

On the bright side. Getting to hit the scoutmaster in the face with a pie at the court of honor is always a big hit.