5/10K race as a fundraiser?

I was involved with another Youth Organization that started sponsoring 5K and 10K races as a fundraiser a year ago.

This organization made over $3000+ last year not counting the $200 race fee that went to the race officials. There is a race almost every weekend if not every other weekend. In order to get a slot as a Race Sponsor, an organization is put at the bottom of the list to get on the calendar. Some dates are open but many calendar dates are now exclusive to certain sponsors annually.

5/10K races have really picked up in the last 6 years here. It used to be sponsored solely by the race association but now there are various non-profit organizations: Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, Red Cross, Girl Scouts, and many others that are now big sponsors. The local Rotary sponsors a race for our district here as part of FOS.

Our parent's committee brought this subject up as a fundraiser a couple of months ago. So, I looked into it.

A Sponsor has to define:

the route of the race- Where the race will take place and mark the route.

what type- running, walking, mountainbike, cycling, etc. (Cycling are 10/20K races).

What categories- Male, female, masters, youth, etc.

Now the Race association for a small fee (avg. $200) can take care of the start/finish line, race clock, water points, control points, traffic cones, mark the route, and computerized categories.

To attract runners or walkers to their weekend race, A sponsor should be able to provide t-shirts (minimum is a 100 for the first 100 finishers, regardless of category), refreshments after the race, awards for the top finishers in each categories, and other goodies that the sponsor can think off. The Race Sponsor also sets the race fee which is about $10 average for the general public but $5 for the race association members.

Now here is where I'm confused if this may possibly be a likely fundraiser for local scout units to be Race Sponsors.

What is the product being provided?

I say, It is the opportunity to run the route that was planned by the sponsor. Other committee members say, it is the t-shirts, goodies and refreshments after the race, the awards, or just providing a safe venue for the participants.

What work would the scouts be doing? Working the control points, water points, as safeties along the route, and registration. This would be negotiated with the race officials and then the price would vary to their fee.

Would this be an appropriate fundraiser for the scout units or should it be left up to the Chartered Organization?

Matua

Matua

Maybe I'm being a little dense, but I don't see you making that much money?

You pay out $200.00 to the race people.

Pay for 100 t-shirts. Even at $5.00 each that is another $500.00 and then have to pay for the food after the event. Looks like a big outlay.

Then if Rotary is already sponsoring a race for the Scouts, would you be asking the same people again?

Eamonn

Our Council (or was it our district?) was involved in a race / fundraiser last year that looks like it is goig to be an annual event. It includes a 10 kilometer (6.2 miles) race along with some shorter rare for the novices (1 mile run/walk).

I'm not sure if the sponsor was a local running shop (Hansons) or our council with Hansons providing assistance.

It was used to generate money for the council/district but I'm not aware of how much was raised.

As for popularity. These types of races were more popular in the late 70s and early 80s and then waned and are becoming more popular again recently.

Eamonn, Ed;

The return is not much for the work put out. Most sponsors make about a third of what actually comes in. Some of the Annual Big Sponsors get donations for their refreshments or from co-sponsors jumping in for the marketing coverage.

I am concerned that doing this as a fundraiser, if it's my units or other local units, may jeapordize our annual FOS contribution from the Rotary.

BW,

That's a great question. I'm not sure about liability. Last year when I helped out with the other youth organization. We were told that each participant: runner or worker, has to sign a liabilty waiver. My lawyer tells me that the waiver is only worth as much as the paper it's printed on.

I'll have to report this back to the committee.

Matua

Matua,

Seems like you are between a rock and a hard place. Wearing your District hat it would be better for you as part of the key 3 (Or is it still a key 2?) To put yot effort into supporting the Rotary Race, if they need and want your support.

On the other hand if the committee for the unit that you are involved with see this as a way of earning a few dollars..

I suppose in the end it would come down to who would be asked to part with their money. If the unit is going to ask the same people who support the Rotary Race which supports the Council / District. You ought to steer clear.

If it is a different bunch that would never ever run in the Rotary Race or use any of those who might donate to the Rotary Race and you feel 200% sure that you are in no way hurting the Council/District it might be OK.

That is all Eamonn logic and isn't worth very much.

Eamonn

• 2 weeks later...

Eamonn,

WE have a Key 3 now. It's about time. I'm waiting for the DE to schedule the first meet.

We decided not to do the 10K run due to logistics and I was not comfortable with it. It's just to much work and outlay for little return for the unit. I'll support the Rotary 10K. They do a pretty good job with their race. I hope they have a better route than last year.

Matua

The product is the race, which to a runner is a valuable commodity.

I wouldn't go forward with it because it sounds like your market is getting saturated and the return isn't that great.

If you do want to have race, look for something different like a tri-athalon or a marathon. "The Annual Guam Boy Scout Marathon"

Wow, Those are great ideas: Triathalon, Marathon, Bed Race Relay.

We have 1 Xtreme Triathalon a year here. It has a really big turn out. Many of the racers complain that there isn't one more to train for before the actual Xtreme Triathalon race. I know my Venturers have been talking for years of putting a team together to compete in the race.

We have 1 Marathon or we call it Hafa Marathon. I know it's done every other year. I'll have to check with the race association.

We used to do the Carol Kai Bed Race from Hawaii in the 1980's. I believe that it is still a popular race in Oahu. I remember distinctly that the OA would always enter in the race here. I did it one time with our OA team and came in last but we had lots of fun. I don't know, but it may have also been a fundraiser for the District then too. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks FOG and Wingnut for your ideas, I'll bring this up to our District Committee. I'm pretty sure the Rotary will jump on board.

Matua