Jamboree Fundraising

By endorsement the BSA means you cannot show any connection between the product and the BSA unless you are specifically given permission by the BSA.

This means that when you apply for a money earning project, the BSA is making two major determinations. The first is can the unit do this activity. The answer will almost always be yes unless 1) it is illegal as in the case of a raffle, or 2) it is outside the guidelines of the BSA, which require that a product or service be exchanged for the income (Bowl-a-thons are a no-no).

The second decision is can the unit associate the BSA with the money earning activity. If it is for a local Council/District or National BSA product the answer will be yes. As an example, Popcorn or Scout Show tickets. Another situation where permission will be granted is for non-brand name products or services. As exampled by a pancake breakfast, or a carwash.

However you cannot sell a name-brand product with the BSAs permission nor can you sign a contract for a money earning project on behalf of the BSA, unit, or council.

Proud Eagle while I respect your right to dislike the BSA popcorn product if you choose to, it is important to remember that in this scenario, unless you are the Scout Executive, your opinion is irrelevant.

Changing the subject ... slightly.

With all respect to Heacox.

I really don't like the idea of a family doing its' own fund raising.

Sure if the Scout wants to earn the money on his own that is fine. It might also be fine if a Lad knocked on my door and asked if he could mow my grass or do some other job. I would be free to say yes or no. If he informed me that he was saving the money to go toward the Jambo. I might be more lightly to say yes.

However if someone at work was to leave a Pie Sale sheet which was organized by one family I don't think that I would buy any pies.

In the troop that we have going to the Jambo. The ASM has two sons who are also going. Yes I know that this is going to be a costly outing for that family. But so did he before he signed up. As it happens his wife is a very good friend of Her That Must Be Obeyed and she informs her that spending over $3,000.00 is a push. They are a typical blue collar middle class family with three kids a mortgage a truck that needs replaced and a minivan that isn't paid for yet. Dad is willing to make the truck last one more year to pay for this Jamboree. Why? Because he and his family think that it is important.

I agree that any fund raising activity is more complicated when there is more then one family member selling stuff or doing stuff. Still at this time I have four sets of brothers signed up for the Jamboree.

My son is attending and I have said that I will pay half. I could without any hardship pay the full amount. But I want him to learn the value of a dollar. He is also attending NOAC this summer, Summer camp and some school trips. All have the same condition me only forking out half the fee. He went and got a job at Mac Donald's.Something that isn't easy to do when you are only 15.

Most Councils offer some sort of Campership or financial aid to those who really need it. For the two troops that our Council is sending we received $800.00 from the region. We used the money to send one Lad who never could afford it and then only offered him half as it was the feeling of the Jamboree Committee that he could raise the other half.

My point to all this is that I really don't like the idea of any family setting itself up as a Scouting fund raiser when the only benefit is for that family.

Eamonn