Flag Fundraisers

We also plan to market it as a gift item. Print up some kind of certificate to give to their faverite friend, patriot, vet, mayor or what ever.

Good point about the cpas getting stuck. what do you thiunk about using a hack saw to split the first inch of pipe?

Also What size pipe did you use?

We used PVC pipe that was just lage enough for the 1/2" rebar to fit inside. The length was 13". We shaved off the sides of one end enough so that the plug would come on and off easy. We had someone make a 3/4" round metal spike and had a washer welded on so that it could be driven into the ground and once the washer hit the ground, you knew that you were far enough. Then you lift up the spike and insert the 13" pipe. Easy as that. We handed out the flyers and picked up 3-4 more people in a little over a week.

• 1 year later...

Our troop is kicking off a flag fundraiser this weekend. Initial sales have been outstanding. In two weeks, we have sold 65 flags! And that was with generally bad weather knocking out a lot of door-to-door time. We spent last night putting together the flags and installing PVC sleeves. We'll finish that tonight.

I'd say we're averaging around a 40% success rate on the door-to-door sales. I believe this will go even higher once people see the product.

We partnered with a local rotary club to help get it going. Rotary members bought about 25 of the flags we sold. More would have bought, but they lived outside the area we are servicing.

We're excited about the start. It's the best idea we've come up with and it should have a big impact on our ability to deliver an exciting program at an affordable price.

And my wife wants me to heal quick so i don't waste so much time on Scouter.com (surgery on my foot. Gotta keep it up for a while...)

Never heard of this Flag subscription service. Very original.

When our troop decided that the popcorn market around here was saturated (Way cheaper at the store,too) we decided on Christmas wreaths. We settled on a company in the Northwest out of Scouter magazine. We've had good luck with it. We take advance orders fom friends and neighbors and order stock upfront to sell in front of local stores. Make upwards of $4000. profit each year. All done in early november, delivery by Thanksgiving (cool weather) Needs: one very well organized parent for ordering and record keeping and one parent with a large garage or at least backyard to store wreaths when they arrive under a tarp. (by UPS semi) and parcel them out. The trick is timing. Try to have them arrive friday and parse them out saturday for the store front sales and personal delivery to neighbors etc. We do two deliveries.

History: In my boy Boy Scout days, our Troop would meet early on a saturday morning. A couple of the Troop dads would go to the Krispy Kreme with their station wagons, come back with 1000(!)dozen still warm donuts. These would be divided up and two Scouts would go out with a dad or mom and 20 or 30 dozen thru the neighborhoods and SELL door to door fresh, warm, gooey Krispy Kreme donuts! I will admit, the first time we did this, we got some strange looks, but soon , we were EXPECTED! What a treat! We would easily sell out by 11am and come back to the church. Take that, Girl Scout Cookies! Hah! Troop did all its fund raising this way, least wise while I was a Scout.

YiS.

We've done Krispy-Kreme before as well. Nice fundraiser. We'll usually do pre-sells at the same time. But we've never been able to sell that many in a single day. More like 200 dozen. The problem here is that EVERYONE does Krispy-kremes. Soccer, Football, cheerleaders, band, every other troop and pack, etc.... someone is selling KKs every weekend, you just have to look around. Getting your timing down to not do it the same weekend as someone else is absolutely critical because the market isn't there for two groups to sell at the same time.

We sold three more flags while installing the sleeves. We made 72 kits for this weekend, so I have four more on reserve if we get any last minute sales. Not a bad start at all. Now, if we can only sell 40 more before Flag Day....