Is wine tasting an appropriate fundraiser?

Whoever said scouts would be present? I don't know how much experience you have in major fundraising for Scout Councils silver-shark but it is obviously limited.

There are a number of corporate fundraising activities that go on all the time to support scouting that do not have youth present. Some do not even involve unit volunteers. Without these events most councils would not be able to deliver anything near the current level of scouting they presently offer.

A council with a healthy financial plan uses a mix of fundraising tools to achieve its goals. Some are completely youth oriented such as Popcorn sales. Some events are adult youth mixed and some are all professional adults.

You seem to be viewing fundraising through a very narrow vision.

Bob White

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob

My latest querries were directed at the original question that pertained to this type fundraiser being done at the unit level.

With that being said, the BSA isn't condoning this type of activity at any level just because they do not have a specific policy denouncing it. We, at least at the unit level, are still trying to run a values based program. There are PLENTY of fundraising ideas out there that are still in line with these values for councils, districts, and units.

The perception of the activity by the boys is the name of the game. What do they think goes on at this type activity? Don't think they won't find out about it and start to speculate. This is the kind of stuff they live for around a campfire.

Silver-shark,

If you were responding to the original post may I point out it was not even a Boy Scout activity so my guess is there were no Boy Scouts present.

One of the reasons we are able to provide scouting on the unit level is because of the major fundraising done at the district and council level.

I can tell you exactly what happens at these events. Business leaders reminisce about their days as scouts and about the fun their kids are having in scouts and they write big donations to the council. And you should be grateful that they do.

You would do well to climb of the horse named 'holier than thou' and realize that for scouting to succeed it takes adults at all levels of scouting and they all have the good of the boys at heart. And yes it is a youth organization but while the youth are in school, doing homework and in bed asleep there are thousands of District, Council and National volunteers and professionals working to keep the scouting movement growing and financially feasible. Just because you are not familiar with how that happens does not give you the right to decide that what you do is any more important or morally righteous than what they do.

Good Night,

Bob White

I stand corrected. I meant to say that a "Majority" of us are in agreement. I'm sorry about that.

Yes, I have been to many a wine tasting events. I even helped sponsor one when I was a member of an Outrigger Canoe Paddling Club 100 lbs. ago. The money that came in was well over 10K dollars, But it was an adult function. The event was well organized and the club flew in a wine expert from Hong Kong. It was a black tie affair. Imagine an island boy trying to find a tux when all I'm used to is island stylin quickdries.

I'm also a drink an occasional glass of wine once in a blue moon. I enjoy red wine with my steaks and there better be some provolone cheese within arms reach.

But WE do need to make some degrees of appropriateness for our Scouting Youths. Here on Guam the legal drinking age is 18 years old. Where do you draw the line in youth who want to particpate in a wine tasting? As per BSA age guidelines or the state or territory's age laws.

This thread brought up alot of good points on both sides. I am glad for everyone who posted a reply. Now we know more about the exact wording of BSA policy on alcohol.

This was not an attempt to degrade those who enjoy responsible social drinking. If I had offended anyone, I am truly sorry.

Matua

OOPS, I hit the wrong key.

Bob

The original question asks, "if its appropriate for BSA units to sponsor this same type event"?

Also, as a member of the council with the third most visited summer camp program in the US behind only Sea Base and Philmont, and at about one-third the cost I might add, I know all too well what goes into the council fundraising that makes this happen, and am VERY grateful. We just merged another council in with us that did not have nearly the resources that we do, and will spend the next 3 to 5 years modernizing their faciliries among other things.

The fact of the matter is, we are the only male role models for many of these boys, and we have to act like it every time we put on the uniform. If it's wrong to do it in front of the boys, it's wrong to do it to support them. The ends cannot be allowed to justify the means when there are PLENTY of fundraisers that we can ALL be proud of.

silver-shark

PS I'm no holier or more righteous than anyone. I love an adult beverage as much or more than most people, but I'm not toasting the boys when I do it.

"Ed just wondering...do you ever go back and read your own posts and feel profoundly embarrassed?

Bob White"

And you are refering to what post on this subject?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

The Church that I attend and the Church that sponsors the troop that I belong to holds a "wine tasting" {aka communion) up to three times a week! And, it seems to me that they are very effective fundraisers. They collect thousands and thousands of dollars each time they do it.

acco40,

I didn't even think of that angle on this, But you are right! My church does the same thing but only once a month. I'm still LOL.

Anyway, I'm gonna follow OGE's example. I can't hibernate so I'm gonna get my fishing net and speargun and go fishing at my family's beach. I'll Catch some rock lobster and parrot fish and have BBQ . I'm gonna enjoy the sunshine since that typhoon missed us yesterday.

What a perspective.

Have Fun,

Matua

Silver-Shark --

So what other great fund-raisers can a council do? We're currently looking for ideas (yes, I'm a professional Scouter.) I wouldn't be opposed to a wine-tasting if a donor would pay for the wine, the advertising and other expenses. I'll admit I'm offended at the local Girl Scout's "operation thin mints" where people pay their retail costs to send Girl Scout Cookies to soldiers -- they're making money on the backs of those fighting this war -- but that's an editorial for a different thread.

We're currently (we being council volunteers and professionals) trying to come up with a way to fund a big decrease in United Way funding and an FOS shortfall due to the economy.

This question is not an attack, but a plea. How should we raise the $60,00 income we need?

Suggestions are welcome from any corner.

DS

$60,000 ?

How well insured is your Boss ? (Joke !!)

We Have:

Golf Outings (Lots !!)

Two Council Dinners @ $150.00 A plate (Yes there is a cash bar. No Scouts in sight.)

A Trap Shoot.

District Outstanding Citizen Dinner ($75.00 A plate)

Donate $100.00 for the CSP, with the Scout Law of the year on it)

Have done a deal with Seven Springs Ski resort they are holding a "Comic Night" for the Council.

The two dinners do well, don't have the numbers at hand but off the top of my head it is close to $120,000.

Trap Shoot is new, only year 2 or 3, but growing, but brings in approx $20,000.

We are also very lucky to have Mr Eberly.who is a great friend of the Council, and we have named the Scout and Cub Scout Camp the Eberly Reservation, God Bless him.

dsteele

Here's what our council does:

1. Vanity License Plates. The State of Indiana hooks us up with $25.00 for every scouting one sold.

2. Marsh Cookout on the Circle in downtown Indy. This one is used to send our underpriviledged boys to camp.

3. The Boy Scout Memorabilia Auction. This is a show and auction with experts on hand to let you know what you have.

4. Shooting Stars is a clay target tournament that we sponsor.

5. Council Award Dinner. $200.00 per plate or $1500.00 per table of 8, with higher levels of sponsorship of $2500.00, and $5000.00. We anticipate around $115,000.00 for this one this year.

Details of these can be seen at www.crossroadsbsa.org. Since we're all in different regions and aparently not competing with one another, it seems as though it wouldn't be all that difficult to get the web addresses of all the councils and see what all of them are doing.

Also, are you doing everything you can to make your current fundraisers more profitable? We had a new Popcorn Colonel (pun intended) this year that got us all motivated to do show and sell. He gave several other pointers to help us be more successful as well. Our popcorn sales doubled per boy as a result.

Also, depending on where you are, troops recieve anywhere from 30 to 40% of the gross sales of popcorn. Maybe some councils and districts are taking a bigger share than others. This year we got 33% because we attended the program instead of the 30% that we normally would have gotten. We came out ahead all around with a better percentage and increased sales, and so did the district and council even though they gave away some of their percentage.

How about a:

Dinner Dance with a theme. Maybe a hog roast/luau, square dance, 50's dance, a 70's dance (I can't believe I just said that). Maybe even add a silent or regular auction to the mix.

Haunted House? Well, a really big haunted house. Never think small.

A community garage or rummage sale with donated items, or sell parking spots for people to set up at for $10 or $15 per space. Set up concessions while you're at it. Our UNIT will make around $10,000.00 in concession sales this year at community events.

That's all I can think of for now. If I get any more, I'll let ya know

silver-shark

What a great Web Site.

I'm E-mailing our Scout Exec. A link.

Maybe he will take the hint.

Some super ideas for making a few bucks.

I love the idea of the Supermarket and the Cookout, not just cash, but great marketing.

The big chain in our area is Giant Eagle, this is getting better and better.

Many Thanks.