Is wine tasting an appropriate fundraiser?

The local GSUSA council here has just sponsored a wine tasting fundraiser. I realize that fundraising requirements are different between the BSA and GSUSA. I know that BSA Unit Fundraisers have to provide a service or product in exchange for receiving funds.

However, with the high turnout and capital recieved at the GSUSA event, a very small minority of our district unit scouters are asking if its appropriate for BSA units to sponsor the same type event.

I have told them "No". I believe we are sending the wrong message to our scouting youths even if the event is managed by adults. I also believe that this was a desperate attempt to raise money since our local economy here is hitting rock bottom. What goes on in another youth organization doesn't apply to BSA units.

I maybe wrong but has any forum members done this type of fundraiser for their units or councils?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that my Scout Exec. Would be pushing me out on my ear.

No we have never done this sort of thing.

However, we have had Golf outings, with very high price tags, that have included an open bar at the end.Needless to say there were no youth and no one was in uniform.

This does however bring to mind the tale of a Summer Camp, that I ran back in England, we camped on the estate of a Lord,in Kent. While we were there, the annual fete, was being held. A very small affair ran by the local village people. We dressed the Scouts in their Sunday best uniforms and off we went.

Some of the boys came back, with cocoa-nuts or other prizes that they had won, but soon they started coming back with bottles of booze, which they won.

As luck would have it they had no interest in drinking it, so they sold it back to the stall holder, much to the disappointment of our 65 year old Assistant Scout Leader. Now there was a man who would have enjoyed a good wine tasting, but once Fred got going, no one would have made very much money !!!

So how does this differ from our Council golf tourney, with an open bar in the clubhouse and a refreshment station every three holes?

I don't see anything wrong will a tasteful, appropriately presented wine tasting. BSA policy prohibits alcohol consumption in the presence of youth, not that we all be tee-totalers.

• 2 weeks later...

Selling booze as a fundraiser, whether as a fundraiser or not, is inconsistent with what the BSA is all about. I like a delicious-icey-cold-adult-beverage as much as the next guy, but not in the name of kids.

If your council is doing this in the name of the BSA, shame on them.

I know of nothing in the BSA that would prohibit such a fundraiser. I think it would depend largely on the community you lived in. For instance I would not be the least bit surprised if a council in the Napa Valley of California were to hold such an event, but would be very surprised to find it being done in Salt Lake City.

Would I support such an activity where I live, probably not, but I try not to impose my personal choices on those in other communities without more information.

BW

BW,

Are you alright? Your reply really threw me in a loop. So are you implying that, as you know it, with the current BSA regs or policy on fundraising, it maybe okay to do wine tasting as a fundraiser depending on our locality?

I remember reading "No Alcohol allowed at any Scout Event" somewhere in one of my Scout resources. Now I really have to dig it up.

If the Fundraiser is a Scout Event doesn't that go against policy.

Matua

Actually it says

" The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members."

An adult activity off of council property would not be in violation of the BSA policies.

BW

Not next to me matuawarrior, but they are close at hand. My computer is in my scout room at home and I have the basic handbooks there. Since I'm heavily involved in training I have a pretty complete library of scout resource materials and training course materials in my garage. Plus I've been doing this for awhile and I try to stay current with the program.

Bob

This thread reminds me of the dilemma a church had about receiving a rather large donation by one of their members who had won a state lottery (my facts are fuzy I must admit). The church debated if they should accept gambling winnings. My memory tells me that they decided not to accept the donation.